Jersey fire warning over festive decorations and candles

Go down

Jersey fire warning over festive decorations and candles

Post by GD on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 10:25 pm

Two fires in Jersey thought to be caused by Christmas candles or decorative lighting, has prompted a warning from the fire service.

The cause of a blaze in a St Helier flat was suspected to be an electrical fault with Christmas tree lights.

A separate fire, started by a candle, was tackled by the householder.

Station Manager Marc Le Cornu urged islanders to ensure electrical decorations were checked and candles were not left burning unattended.

He said: "We expect that many families will be putting up their Christmas decorations over the next couple of weeks and these unfortunate incidents serve as a timely reminder of the potential fire hazards associated with the festive period.

"We would ask people to ensure that their Christmas lights are checked thoroughly before use to ensure that they are in a suitable condition with the correct bulbs being used.

"[Also] to ensure that all Christmas lights are turned off at the mains when not in the building and before going to bed."

Mr Le Cornu said: "Additionally, candles are also a common addition at Christmas and it is essential to ensure that candles are never put near Christmas trees, other decorations or furnishings and that they are never left burning unattended."

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"


Number of posts : 10122
Location : Channel Islands
Job/hobbies : Website
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum