Green bins banished

Go down

Green bins banished

Post by Dell on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 7:36 am

The parish of St Martin's in Guernsey won't have a recycling bank from the end of this month.

The owners have asked Public Services to move the bins, but the department can't find a replacement site.

The parish's main collection point moved to the garage in 2010 after the previous site at Manor Stores was closed by Sandpiper CI, which holds the lease on that property.

Sandpiper CI, which is also the leaseholder of the former garage, has now asked the Department to vacate the temporary site by the end of June.

Public Services say they're in talks over another possible temporary facility until kerbside collection of household recyclables is introduced next year, but that site will need planning permission and would not be ready when the current site closes.

In the meantime, parishioners can use one of the other bring bank main facilities, such as at Salerie Corner or Waitrose in the Rohais.

The man with responsibility for recycling, Public Services Minister Deputy Paul Luxon is himslf a victim of his department's, predicament - he lives in St Martin.

"I can appreciate the frustration if there is not going to be a recycling site in the village. However having looked at all our options, the simple fact is locations that could be suitable in terms of size and access are few and far between in the parish. Despite our best efforts we have not been able to secure one yet, he said.

Deputy Luxon said the Department was still open to ideas.

"Even at this late stage, we will consider any suggestions from parishioners which could provide a stop-gap," he said.

From Channel TV

Is this aceptable? Should the States be trying harder and doing more? What are your views?

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Green bins banished

Post by Thistle on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 8:18 am

they should be doing more..i use this particular bank because it is handy on my way to town.if they want us to recycle a facility should be placed in every parish x
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:24 am

Public Services say they are waiting for planning permission ! States shooting it'self in the foot again !

If I was to accept Thistle's kind invitation to come down a sort the Island out, the planning department would be first in line for a complete re-organisation and change of brief.

Then the States ridiculous Island zoning system would be the next target.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum