Channel Islands show off to tourism delegates

Go down

Channel Islands show off to tourism delegates

Post by GD on Wed 16 May 2012, 10:09 pm

More than a hundred tourism delegates met with local businesses in a bid to boost the Channel Islands in other countries.

They were seeing what trips they could sell to prosepective tourists back home and took a tour of Jersey to see first hand what it has to offer.

Mark Bentley-Fisher runs Great Days Travel Group, in Manchester. He was last in the island 20 years ago and joined the tour around the west coast.

Mr Bentley-Fisher said: "I'm now going to get a really good understanding of it which has allowed me to go back and sell it even more to our clients.
"I've met some fantastic people, I have met a lot of hotels, a lot of ground handlers and I can really see the potential to build up the business.
"At the moment, our business is coming along but this is gonna really, really give us an imputous and I think over the next few years we are really going to develop our programme to the Channel Islands."

But it wasn't just the island's beautiful views that won these business men and women over.

A speed-dating style event, set up by the tourism board was matching up tour operators with local hotels and activity companies.

Jersey Tourism have been holding these events since the 70s.

French and German companies currently bring the highest number of visitors to the island, but with new additions from Austria and Norway, hotels hope they will have more of a market to attract customers from.

Simon Le Huray, from Jersey Tourism said: "Over the years lots of business has been done at these events, whether it's reaquainting with existing contacts and existing business partners.
"And this year we've got 17 new European tour operators who have not been to Jersey before so we are showcasing the island to them and they are able to meet with the hotels and activity providers and put their packages together."

And developing these relationships with local businesses, big and small - means visitors will get a warm welcome to the warmest place in the British Isles.
(from CTV)

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Channel Islands show off to tourism delegates

Post by kingcolemk on Wed 16 May 2012, 10:21 pm

When are Guernsey doing their event then ?

Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down