Guersey chief minister nominations open

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Guersey chief minister nominations open

Post by karma on Mon 23 Apr 2012, 9:54 pm

Hope so otherwise Trott will trot off with the prime position again..........scary!!!!!

Number of posts : 16109
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:02 pm

BREAKING NEWS: Chief Minister hustings WILL be open to the public. Next Mon, 7pm to 9pm, Grammar School

GD

Number of posts : 10122
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra James on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:20 am

Good morning Guernsey

Wanted to drop in and say hi to eveyone. I enjoyed particpating in this site in the lead up to the election.

I am dleighted the electors of the Castel had sufficient faith in me to chose me as one of their Deputies-Elect.

Regarding the election of our next Chief Minister - I believe we should have a free, fair and open vote - its called democracy. It is within the remit of States members to change a rule they believe is uneccessary, unfair and restrictive.

My understanding is the rule was introduced for the wrong reasons. Roffey Writes column in the Press clearly outlines the present position.

A big thank you to all those in this site who sent me both PM's and posted best wishes.

I have a good feeling - 'Things can only get better'

Just heard on Radio Guernsey Lyndon has withdrawn his candidature.

Sandra James

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:58 am

Well done Sandra - I can only be sad that as I no longer live in Guernsey I will not benefit from the changes which are afoot but I applaud them from afar - I wish you well as you say things can only get better!!! well done you (and thank you for the news about Lyndon it gives real hope that change is indeed afoot)....

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:13 am

The big problem with this rule change is that it is only being brought in so that one person can get the position.

The question that needs to be asked is "If Peter Harwood did not want to be chief minister, would we change this rule?" If the answer is no, then the rule should stand.

Many locals, but more importantly the outside world will see this as nepotism and will harm the reputation of our elected assembly.

(I have nothing personal for or against any of the candidates.)

Spirit

Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra James on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:37 am

Good moring Spirit

If we revist to reason the rule was changed just last year it was to keep someone out. That was a flawed reason - which has led us us to this current position. Commonly referred to as 'unintended consequences'.

Every Deputy elected to make up a new 'States' should have no restrictions placed upon a possible bid for their canditure of CM. If somone wholly unsuitable stood - simply they would not get elected.

It should and must be a level playing field and never about personalities - Guernsey and its people are too valuable to be the losers.

It is obvious there are loyalities and support for individual candidates but the Chief Minister has to be somone who is there by a majority wish of States members - whoever that person maybe(IMO)!!

Sandra James

Female
Job/hobbies : Just keeping up with life
Humor : Weird and Wonderful

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:41 am

Very true, but two wrongs don't make a right.

With Lyndon Trott pulling out, it could be an opportunity for the States to go back to square one, rewrite the rules completely then start the nomination process again.

"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra James on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:44 am

Spirit
Can I ask you why you don't believe it should be an open process and do you agree the previous decision was flawed?

Sandra James

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:55 am

I believe that it should be an open process, but what is being proposed will not be perceived that way by many. It comes across as changing the rules so that a preferred candidate can get the job.

The rule made 4 years ago was wrong, done to keep someone out, yet no-one bothered about it until Peter Harwood threw his hat into the ring. If the election candidates were so bothered by this injustice, why was it missing from all manifestos?

Maybe others would have stood for chief minister if the rule hadn't been in place, but they knew that they are not able to do so under the current rules, this makes it a rule change for the benefit of one person.

"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra James on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:12 am

Not so, it would allow anyone to stand even at this late stage.

To effectively progress through the massive agenda over the forthcoming four years - it is imperative - the CM must have the support of the majority of States members.

I do fully understand how this scenario is perceived by some of the public - but I honestly believe this is not about personalities but getting the right man/woman for the job.

Sandra James

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebay on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:43 am

I see where Spirit is coming from on this one. To change a rule to keep someone out (I have no idea who, and it doesn't matter as I'm talking principles, not personalities), and then to change it again to allow someone in... this is the sort of system-changing you'd expect in a banana republic. Or perhaps only one step away from Putin's "Now I'm president, I'll change the system so I'm here for life".
To change the election process while it is in progress can only be perceived one way by the public. Anyone who believes it is acceptable must have strong feelings for or against certain candidates (if they are totally honest). This sets a dangerous precedent.

Deebay

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 4:38 pm

the best thing lyndon has done for a long time imo.he is a nice guy to talk to but should never have been cm in the first place.he is the man responsible for 0/10 and a huge loss of income to the island...as sandra has said spirit if the rule is abolished any deputy can put their name in the hat on the day ...i could never understand how lyndon could be made cm when in the last election he just scraped in in his district and again this time..not exactly being given the mandate of the electorate is it
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddycoon on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 4:45 pm

am delighted to read on here on coming home from work that Trott is now not standing - I say let a fresh candidate take on the role - Trott I think would rather have just stood down rather than it go between three and he come last!

Ant and Dec's biggest fan........in the world

www.officialantanddec.com "My boys own web-page"

A self confessed Next-A-Holic

A self confessed Shop-A-Holic and Bargain hunter!
A self confessed clean-a-holic
Coldplay rule the world
Diddycoon

Female
Number of posts : 4775
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:08 pm

The only remaining candidate in the election for the role of Guernsey's chief minister will not be withdrawing his nomination, he has told the BBC.

Deputy-Elect Jonathan Le Tocq said he would not want to take the position without a vote of confidence.

He said changing the rules to allow all elected deputies to stand "would be a very wise thing".

Deputy-Elect Le Tocq said: "I'm disappointed that the first debate I have is over a change in the rules."

He said: "We all knew when we put our names forward in the general election what the rules were.

"Until there's a change in Guernsey's machinery of government the chief minister's role is important but it's not important enough for a constitutional crisis.

"I think we've got an opportunity here to work together and do so in a democratic, sensible and peaceable way."

The other chief minister candidate Deputy Lyndon Trott withdrew his nomination as he said it had "polarised the States".

Deputy-Elect Le Tocq said: "I'm surprised but not shocked, I think he has done an honourable thing.

"It's put me in a very difficult position. I'm the only qualified candidate at the moment and I certainly don't want to be in that position."

He said he would encourage the Policy Council, the chief minister and 10 department ministers, to put themselves up for re-election in two years time, halfway through the term of the States
(from BBC)

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:12 pm

Last years rule change set a dangerous precedent and it would make it worse if the rules were changed again. It shows that the States do what they want to suit them selves and I think dents the credibility of the Gov' in general.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:29 am

shame they cant get other laws passed as fast .. dumped car one would be a good start
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:27 pm

Policy & Vision Statement

by Vote LE TOCQ on Friday, 27 April 2012 at 15:14 ·

I love Guernsey. I want my daughters to live in an inclusive society where there is appropriate support and opportunity for the vulnerable and less well-off and where there is also support for those who show initiative and inspiration and want to better themselves and their island.

I want to see the States – through the Policy Council, departments and committees – promote practical, personable, deliverable solutions that make a real difference to the lives of all islanders. I want a Guernsey where everyone has a future.

I believe all those holding public office must work hard to restore the confidence and esteem which has been eroded in recent years. We should deliver change and take islanders with us every step of the way. We should be a new breed of political leaders who the electorate can trust, respect, rely upon and relate to. If our community is to overcome the challenges facing us and continue to thrive, this tone must be set at senior level by the Policy Council and certainly by the Chief Minister. Public service not self-service.

Although under our current system, the Chief Minister has little power, it is a responsibility that does carry significant influence. I believe that I would bring a fresh principled approach to the role, characterised by greater openness and a willingness to listen.

Leadership today should be about influence, not authority. The public has been seriously disillusioned by what is perceived as confrontational, personality-based politics that has disintegrated into shameful dysfunction.

Islanders deserve better and I believe I offer the best prospect of delivering a new approach – a Government of National Unity. For me this means a government of inclusivity, equality, respect, honour, openness, good humour and hard work. A government of the people, united for the people.

A truly collegial approach is the real need of the hour and should not be seen as a sign of weak leadership. To the contrary, it is a sign of strong leadership that is vital in the challenging times ahead. When there is a difference of opinion in an atmosphere of civility, a productive tension can often result in a distinctive harmony and energy for better decision-making.

We are going to need to be ready to communicate some things that will be hard to swallow over the next few years and this approach is the only way that these hard decisions will have broad support across the States and across the island.

As Chief Minister I would not shy away from making difficult decisions. Nor would I turn away from issues that may have become stalled or neglected. How I reach and communicate these decisions is what sets me apart.

At this juncture, I am not offering positions to anyone as this is disingenuous at this time in our current system. There is a lot of getting to know one another to do! I will concentrate my energies on building a team once elected.

What I will do now is seek to explain the style and modus operandi which I wish to engender in this new and challenging season. Whilst we do not have a system which gives real executive powers to our Policy Council, it is nevertheless important to choose Ministers who can function as a team. In putting forward candidates for Ministerial office, I would be looking to choose competent individuals who can demonstrate the expertise and enthusiasm to undertake these vital roles and especially seek out those who have a proven track record for getting things done. I would not look favourably on colleagues who fail to reflect the collegial approach to politics that I am seeking.

I would expect Ministers to advocate policies that have been well researched, debated and thought through by their departments; such policies are more likely to succeed. Naturally differences of opinions will not just disappear – long may this continue. A healthy democracy depends on robust articulation of alternative views. But we do need to work to disciplines and deadlines.

One of the main strengths of the former Government Business Plan which I helped lead during 2004-08 was that we engaged virtually all 47 States Members in a process of identifying around a dozen main policy proposals we felt we could agree to deliver. My intention is that early on all Members of our States would be involved in shaping policy and with that involvement would come more focused debates.

An important aspect of the Chief Minister’s role is to represent the interests of the island in talks with other jurisdictions. This is essential and I have the leadership style and skills that are most likely to deliver positive results for Guernsey.

I have already represented Guernsey on the international stage during the two terms I served in the States as Chairman of Overseas Aid and as Deputy Minister of T&R, but also through my involvement with the Church, charities and voluntary organizations. As well as understanding the language of diplomacy & negotiation, I speak French fluently and have a good grasp of other European languages too.

I am not shy about being in the international arena but believe that the Chief Minister does not need to undertake all these responsibilities on his or her own. One of the most powerful tools of team building is the art of delegation.

I have set out how my approach differs from other candidates and will help lead a ‘Government of National Unity’ working together for the common good of the island. In such challenging times, we cannot afford political leadership that makes little effort to engage with the broad spectrum of Members and with other stakeholders across our island.

I would, of course, continue to act with the honesty and integrity that I have demonstrated during my 25 years in employment, leading churches, charities and voluntary groups, and not forgetting my eight years’ experience in the States as a Deputy.

I would consider it to be an honour and a privilege to serve as Chief Minister. I may not be as experienced as others but I do have the skills, motivation and energy to carry out the role. I ask Members to give me the opportunity to serve our community in this capacity.

Jonathan P Le Tocq

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 7:08 pm

sounds good lets wait and see what happens next
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 9:22 pm

Manifesto ooks and sounds good. Realistic in that the position holds little power so he will be one voice and it will depend on support from others. So is John charismic enough to sdway what is left of the old guard and are the new members wanting to change the states.

I wouls have liked to have seen more nominations but good luck to him and time will tell.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie.henderson3 on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 12:17 pm

Please would everyone look at Deputy elect le Tocq's attendance levels when last in the States. The 'excuse' then was that he was a minister and that took a lot of his time - but he stood and got elected to deputy, took the pay and the position and did not give a fair return. This time he stands for the highest position within the States - I say judge him and all other Deputies by past performance. Peter Harwood for Chief Minister.

rosie.henderson3

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 12:24 pm

i agree rosie and just hope peter harwood is allowed to stand ..i was surprised at the voters putting jon back in ..he is now saying he isnt involved with his church so much these days and that the family arent caring for elderly family members now.sadly we have no choice in electing the person for the CM's position and just hope the states choose the right person for the job
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 10:57 pm

rosie.henderson3 wrote:Please would everyone look at Deputy elect le Tocq's attendance levels when last in the States. The 'excuse' then was that he was a minister and that took a lot of his time - but he stood and got elected to deputy, took the pay and the position and did not give a fair return. This time he stands for the highest position within the States - I say judge him and all other Deputies by past performance. Peter Harwood for Chief Minister.

Your point is noted and has been discussed but the man has publicly replied on this forum explaining the problems he had. We are stuck with one nomination so have little choice, Harwood is not (at the moment) an option so why carry on shouting "Harwood for CM". If Le Tocq does not attend then call for his dismissal he now knows what the position requires in time spent so he should be going into this prepared.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ted on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:20 am

I cannot believe Mr Le Tocq will want to become chief minister by default, for him to have any credibility with the house and public, he must agree to stand against whoever. If not then this will be the worst and most pointless states of deliberation deputies ever. (not a bad result in less than a month)
ted

Male
Number of posts : 124
Humor : twisted
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk on Tue 01 May 2012, 12:40 pm

In the Press the other day Harwood said that he would delegate off island business. I smell a deal being fixed. Probably with the one who asked people not to wheel and deal for the CM vote. We will see.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Tue 01 May 2012, 1:58 pm

Money, money money....it's a rich man's world................ lol!
Female
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Tue 01 May 2012, 4:12 pm

we have a new CM deputy peter harwood won the vote 27 for 20 against..well done sir ..all we need now is a states of election that is transparent and considers the needs of islanders in these tough times
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Tue 01 May 2012, 4:39 pm

What a shambles.

The 1st day in the chamber and the new lot have come across as totally inept, even worse than the previous bunch.

Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk on Tue 01 May 2012, 5:34 pm

Thistle wrote:we have a new CM deputy peter harwood won the vote 27 for 20 against..well done sir ..all we need now is a states of election that is transparent and considers the needs of islanders in these tough times

You call secret meetings with missing members transparent ? From over here it looks to have all the makings of a shambolic next four years.

The blind leading the blind comes to mind.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 01 May 2012, 6:23 pm

Voting in chief minister election

Peter Harwood:

Hunter Adam, Paul Arditti, Barry Brehaut, Garry Collins, David De Lisle, Roger Domaille, Matt Fallaize, Peter Gillson, Mike Hadley, Peter Harwood, David Inglis, Sandra James, Rob Jones, Jan Kuttelwascher, Allister Langlois, Michelle Le Clerc, Andrew Le Lievre, Mary Lowe, Paul Luxon, Roger Perrot, Laurie Queripel, Lester Queripel, Peter Sherbourne, Robert Sillars, Heidi Soulsby, Tony Spruce and Lyndon Trott (27)

Jonathan Le Tocq:

Elis Bebb, Al Brouard, Yvonne Burford, Richard Conder, mark Dorey, Darren Duquemin, John Gollop, Chris Green, Dave Jones, Boyd Kelly, Paul Le Pelley, Jonathan Le Tocq, Scott Ogier, Mike O'Hara, Barry Paint, Francis Quin, Kevin Stewart, Martin Storey, Gavin St Pier and Arrun Wilkie (20)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Tue 01 May 2012, 6:53 pm

Anyone know what the voting was on rewriting the rulebook?

Spirit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top