Elections 2012

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Elections 2012

Post by Thistle on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:52 pm

hi sandra,i willb voting in the west..like you i amconcerned by the lack of female candidates..i would be interested to know what you think needs to be done to help guernsey people in the future with unemployment going to be going up in the near future.do you think as an island we should be moving our alleigence away from the crown after everything that has happened recently re lvcr and what will happen with uk stamp duty avoidence.do you thnk enough is done to help people with disabilities and their carers...just a few for you to be going on with

Thistle

Number of posts : 10987
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:58 pm

re not many ladies ; cos the boys are bullies perhaps

kat

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:08 pm

Welcome to the Forum Sandra,

I have to agree with you that is is disappointing that so few woman are standing and also there seems to be a lack of young candidates,

What can be done to improve the representation, I don't think there is an easy solution, but those who gets into this new government must gain the confidence of the Guernsey public and show that they can make assertive decisions and not keep back pedalling,

Also the new States members must show that the are they are not just puppets for the Civil Servants and that they do have a say in running of the various departments of the States..

Thats my view .... karaoke1

GD

Number of posts : 10122
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra James on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:30 pm

Thistle/Kat
Just typed a lengthy reply to your questions and lost the lot. Sorry.
Will reply again tomorrow - too late tonight!!!

Sandra James

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:31 pm

Will any of the candidates have the coujons to take on the C of E over the way that they rip us off by getting free churches, free maintenance, free accommodation for the staff, etc. We even pay someone to do the cleaning.

Spirit

Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:06 am

thank you sandra ..look forward to reading your reply
Thistle

Female
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra James on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:59 am

Thistle

Let's try again -
Disability- I have already accepted an invitation from Shelaine Green to attend their Speed Hustings at Les Cotils to meet with the members from the Disability Alliance Group. My whole professional career has been involved with the mentally ill, those with addictions, the homeless and vulnerable adult groups. I am very concerned at the ongoing delay at the implementation of our revised Mental Health Act. The current one being unacceptable and woefully unfit for purpose. It is not tolerable that people can still be compulsorily detained in hospital without the means of appeal.

I believe there should be fewer States Deputies.It cannot be beyond our collective wit to come up with a workable system.

Like most Islanders I was alarmed by the recent report on our education failings. There is much good work going on but we must as a matter of priority address those areas of weakness identified.

In 2012 its also not acceptable we still do not have legislation addressing -
1) Equal Pay for Work of Equal Value
2) Disability Discrimination
Also many years ago Guernsey States promised to sign up to the 'Convention for the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women' Why are we still waiting for some movement on this?

We need to address future needs and make provision for our ageing population i.e.community services, health, social care and ensuring the we have adequate and appropriate housing.

Is that enough to be going on with?
Regards

Sandra James

Female
Number of posts : 29
Job/hobbies : Just keeping up with life
Humor : Weird and Wonderful
Registration date : 2012-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 9:07 am

Spirit wrote:Will any of the candidates have the coujons to take on the C of E over the way that they rip us off by getting free churches, free maintenance, free accommodation for the staff, etc. We even pay someone to do the cleaning.

I am far from being a religiously inclined person, but I do think that about the only useful thing that religion has ever given mankind is the wealth of great buildings all over the World. Guernsey, small as it is, is blessed with ten such buildings which I would have thought you would be happy to help preserve.

They do more good for Guernsey's appearance that developments like Admiral Park and such like.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 4:42 pm

thank you sandra for a very comprehensive reply x
Thistle

Female
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 10:45 pm

kingcolemk wrote:
Spirit wrote:Will any of the candidates have the coujons to take on the C of E over the way that they rip us off by getting free churches, free maintenance, free accommodation for the staff, etc. We even pay someone to do the cleaning.

I am far from being a religiously inclined person, but I do think that about the only useful thing that religion has ever given mankind is the wealth of great buildings all over the World. Guernsey, small as it is, is blessed with ten such buildings which I would have thought you would be happy to help preserve.

They do more good for Guernsey's appearance that developments like Admiral Park and such like.

Very true. Can I run my business from one, rent free, with all maintenance costs paid?

"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top