A year of ups and downs for Guernsey

Go down

A year of ups and downs for Guernsey

Post by GD on Thu 29 Dec 2011, 6:44 pm

It has been a year of ups and downs for Guernsey.

Shrinking economic growth and worries about the future of the fulfillment industry.

But also international endorsement of the island's tax transparency and a government with no borrowing.

Gary Burgess met Chief Minister Lyndon Trott for his thoughts on the year gone by:

Deputy Trott: "Well there are lots of personal highlights and lots of jurisdictional highlights but it's been a tough year that has seen us fare relatively speaking better than almost anywhere else. The highlights, the IMF assessment of our financial stability back in January this year where they confirmed we are one of the best regulated and stable jurisdictions undertaking financial services globally. Other highlights are the ongoing quest for international transparency. We've now signed a total of 33 tax information exchange agreements this year, including Japan, India, Canada. They're just two highlights."

Gary Burgess: "Which brings us onto the issue of LVCR. Did the announcement of scrapping the VAT threshold take you by surprise?"

Deputy Trott: "No the announcement didn't take us by surprise at all. We had been speaking with our friends and colleagues within the UK Treasury for some time and we had been making the point that the action that we believed they would take was discriminatory and we made it clear we were not a jurisdiction that would tolerate discrimination of any type and that it was possible if not likely that legal action would follow."

Gary Burgess: "One of the big stories of the past few months has been the issue of Education in Guernsey. The review underway now. Where are we at with it?"

Deputy Trott: "Well we'll have to wait and see what Mr Mulkerrin's report says. It's due very soon. I haven't had the opportunity to read it yet. I haven't had a copy. But I hope it is as thorough as I believe it will be and that the recommendations that are contained within it are incorporated into the Education process here."

Gary Burgess: "So if the report did find fundamental failings of a public service, the Education minister should go."

Deputy Trott: "It would be foolish to speculate as to what the report says. It may well say that not only has there been no political failure but that the political leadership at Education has been exemplary so we really do need to wait and see what it says.

Gary Burgess: "It's not all serious stuff. I guess one of the high points of 2011 has been the formation of Guernsey FC."

Deputy Trott: "As a man who enjoys kicking a ball around on occasions I think Guernsey FC have been quite superb and on a personal note I have a 15 year old son who is determined to play one day for Guernsey FC and after his performance against the media in the annual charity match yesterday there's every chance he may be able to fulfill that ambition. Looking forward to 2012, the Olympic torch will be coming here, we are looking forward to the visit of the Prince of Wales during 2012, we'll see a new Bailiff inaugurated. Sir Geoffrey Rowland will be enjoying a well deserved retirement and Richard Collas will be taking over as Bailiff. And, of course, we have a general election in 2012. Many changes in 2012 and much to look forward to, and let's hope when you're interviewing me a year from now we can look back on 2012 with as much satisfaction under the circumstances as we're able to look back on 2011."

Gary Burgess: "Aah so I take from that you do want to stand again and you do want to be Chief Minister."

Deputy Trott: "Well I'm to be married on New Year's Eve. I'm thoroughly looking forward to my honeymoon with Karen and as all married men will tell you Gary, it'll be up to her whether I'm allowed to be a candidate in the election. So we'll talk about that while we're away and I'll make an announcement when I get back at the end of the month."
(from CTV)

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Re: A year of ups and downs for Guernsey

Post by Dell on Fri 30 Dec 2011, 9:53 am

Deputy Trott: "Well we'll have to wait and see what Mr Mulkerrin's report says. It's due very soon. I haven't had the opportunity to read it yet. I haven't had a copy. But I hope it is as thorough as I believe it will be and that the recommendations that are contained within it are incorporated into the Education process here."

Lyndon says, "I haven't had the opportunity to read it yet. I haven't had a copy." Is it me or does that not make any sense! Not having the opportunity to read it suggests that he has a copy, but then he denies having a copy!! That is why it is so difficult to believe what a Politician says!

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Fri 30 Dec 2011, 10:39 am

Maybe Lyndon (honesty is my middle name) forgot the 'because'! which would read a little differently....

"I haven't had the opportunity to read it yet. Because I haven't had a copy."

Naughty, naughty, cynical Dell :-)))))) Don't know what the full stop is doing there another oversight I have no doubt LOL
Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down