Arson: 'mindless act could have killed someone'

Go down

Arson: 'mindless act could have killed someone'

Post by GD on Tue 22 Nov 2011, 6:33 pm

An arson attack at the Indoor Cricket Centre in Guernsey has been described as a mindless act of vandalism that could have killed someone.

The blaze, which began in a wheelie bin, has caused thousands of pounds worth of damage at the centre, which is in the Castel.

CCTV footage shows two youths starting the fire.

The hunt is on to find the pair who targeted the centre in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Operations Manager Chris Markham, from the centre, told us: "I'm incredibly angry and disappointed to be honest. I don't understand why these youngsters can't use this wonderful facility which has been built that gives so much to the island instead of trying to burn it down.

"And I do say youngsters, unfortunately, because the CCTV does show approximately 16 or 17, usual guys - hoodies. We're not tarnishing all youngsters who wear hoodies with this behaviour but the CCTV shows quite clearly a mindless act of vandalism and it's just hugely disappointing."

Chris has handed the CCTV footage to the police and is just thankful nobody was hurt.

He said: "Our centre, with the netting and flooring, there's a lot of combustible items in there and fire is a dangerous thing and it would sweep through into the bowls centre, into the table tennis centre and into a residential unit where two people were sleeping.

"The worst possible scenario is the Hougue Du Pommier site could have been complete devastation and perhaps even loss of lives, it's just mindless."

Anyone with any information is asked to contact DC Mark Nichols in CID or the Neighbourhood Policing Team on 725111 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
(from CTV)

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down