Ann retires after horse Hugo dies

Go down

Ann retires after horse Hugo dies

Post by GD on Fri 21 Oct 2011, 8:53 pm

ONE of Sark’s best-known faces has been forced into retirement.

Carriage driver Ann Rive (pictured) has had to give up because Hugo, the horse she had driven in recent years, has died.

A very familiar face to the tens of thousands of visitors who come to Sark each year, Jersey-born Ann has driven carriages in Sark for most of her life but now she is selling all her carriages, horse harnesses and everything else with which she has plied her trade over many decades.

Included in that is what many believe to be a collectors’ item – a 60-plus-year-old Massey Ferguson tractor.

Ann told me that the 1948 T20 model is in need of some renovation – aren’t we all at that age – but added that it might provide a labour of love for a real enthusiast. Anyone interested should contact Ann on 07781 405303.

The death of Hugo is a sad blow to Ann and to the dozens of young regular visitors to Sark – three of my own grandchildren included – who, depending on their behaviour, were sometimes allowed to spend a day with her riding shotgun, so to speak, as she took tourists around the island. That is a sight and experience which will be sorely missed.

This weekend sees Sark’s first stargazing festival – an excellent innovation which follows the designation earlier this year of Sark becoming the world’s first Dark Skies Island.

It is a prestigious award – the brainchild of Felicity Benfield – and many people here have worked extremely hard in promoting yet another string to Sark’s already attractive tourism bow.

Enthusiasts have set up SAstroS (Sark Astronomy Society), chaired by Annie Dachinger who, in a recent letter to island residents, said that this weekend’s StarFest was hoped to encourage visitors throughout the winter months and generate income for Sark’s business community in what would otherwise be a quiet time of the year.

The weekend kicks off today with a talk by Professor Andrew Coates, the head of the planetary science group at the Mullard Space Laboratory of University College, London. There will also be a themed dinner at Stocks Hotel and guided star walks.

Tomorrow there is music, dance and fun at the Millennium Field, as well as a mobile planetarium and indoor films, while on Sunday there is another themed meal – this time lunch at Hathaways.

While on the subject of tourism, it was pleasing to note that yet another Sark hotel has been put forward for a prestigious international award. Elizabeth Perree’s La Sablonnerie has been nominated for the annual Conde Nast Johansens Awards for Excellence in the Most Romantic Hotel category.

The indomitable Elizabeth, with or without her trademark green wellies – a pair of which fetched a huge amount of money at a charity auction I once attended – will travel to the awards ceremony, which is being held on 7 November at London’s May Fair Hotel.

No doubt she will be armed to the teeth with Sark brochures which will be distributed to everyone else attending the ceremony.

My comment last week about the state of Harbour Hill prompted a spate of online comments, few of which referred to what I had written. Someone who signs themselves ‘Larky’ took the biscuit when he/she inferred that I had been talking about the harbour – something not actually mentioned in the article.

Larky then referred to my ‘pals’ at Sark Estate Management – presumably the same ‘pals’ who managed to devote a full page in the Sark Newsletter recently to criticising both me and my wife. Perhaps ‘Larky’ should ask whoever reads articles to him/her to read them again, if only to avoid such glaring errors of fact.

* The email address for comment is fallesark@sark.net.
(from GEP)

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down