Bahrain Formula 1 Grand Prix 'To Go Ahead'

Go down

Bahrain Formula 1 Grand Prix 'To Go Ahead'

Post by GD on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 4:48 pm

The Bahrain Formula 1 Grand Prix will go ahead on October 30, organisers have confirmed.

The FIA's world motor sport council met on Friday morning to discuss rearranging the event which was cancelled in February amid anti-government protests in Bahrain and across the Middle East.
Zayed R Alzayani, chairman of the Bahrain International Circuit said: "This is welcome news for all of Bahrain.
"As a country we have faced a difficult time, but stability has returned, with businesses operating close to normal, the State of National Safety lifted and countries removing travel restrictions."
There had been speculation a rescheduled race could take place if the season finale in Brazil was moved from November 27 to December.

But news the Bahrain race is back on comes as separate reports suggested police in the country's capital fired tear gas and rubber bullets at protesters engaged in fresh demonstrations on Friday.
F1 teams had been urged to boycott the race by an online petition of over 300,000 signatures.
And human rights groups have said the grand prix should be axed due to the country's government's brutal crackdown on protests.
Former racing drivers, including British ex-world champion Damon Hill, have also criticised plans to reinstate the event.
Formula 1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone said any decision on the event's future would have "nothing to do with money".

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"


Number of posts : 10122
Location : Channel Islands
Job/hobbies : Website
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum