Countdown face back in Alderney

Go down

Countdown face back in Alderney

Post by GD on Thu 26 May 2011, 8:33 pm

If you watch teatime show Countdown, then you may be a fan of Richard Digance.

He has appeared in the infamous dictionary corner a whopping 168 times and he has appeared in Alderney for five years in a row.

That is because he is also a keen folk singer, comedian... and lover of the island.

He has been busy promoting a new album in the UK but has returned to the Channel Islands as part of his 40 Years On The Road tour.

Famous for his 1980s TV series and regular appearances on Countdown, Richard always takes a poke at topical local issues when he is touring.

Last year he wrote a poem about Alderney's smoking ban; and this year he is not afraid to tackle another controversial subject - artist Andy Goldsworthy's Alderney Stones.

He said: "I've been all round the island today actually and had a look at every single one of them and it's amazing because they all look exactly the same. It just looks like Gulliver has played golf on the island and lost 11 balls, that's what it looks like to me."

Richard loves performing at intimate venues like the Georgian House, where he has made many friends over the years.

He said: "It's brilliant; I mean there's no pressure here. The people of Alderney are a very unique bunch of islanders I think. I've played Jersey, I've played Guernsey; I've neverplayed Sark, but Alderney's Alderney.

"They don't get huge lots of shows over here anyway, so I might seem really good, even though I'm not - there's not an awful lot to compare me by on this wonderful island!"

Richard also spoke about the vacant Countdown hot seat and named his price for Channel 4.

He said: "I was I think 14/1 against on the last showing of betting, from the big people. Whether or not I would accept it I really, really don't know. It's a passion of mine, Countdown, and if they paid me 50,000 a show it would be an even bigger passion."

It remains to be seen whether Countdown's producers will stump up Richard's huge fee. But you could bet people in Alderney think he is worth every penny.

(from CTV)

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down