Running 40 marathons to raise a million pounds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Running 40 marathons to raise a million pounds

Post by GD on Mon 01 Nov 2010, 8:21 pm

With his 65th birthday approaching the idea to do something special came to Stuart Hardie.
That something is to run 40 marathons in 40 days and raise a million pounds for charity in the process.
He said: "It started over a glass of wine... a friend of mine said, 'You'll be 65 next year... you should do something significant to celebrate'."
And so the idea to raise money for the Wooden Spoon charity while running from John O'Groats to Land's End was born.
Stuart said: "I introduced the Wooden Spoon charity to the island so it's my favourite."
Otherwise known as the Children's Charity of Rugby it has provided funds for the climbing wall at Baubigny Schools, work at Les Rondins School amongst other things.
Stuart will be setting off from John O'Groats on 15 March and running for the next 40 days reaching Land's End during the Easter weekend, meaning the challenge fits in with Lent.

Stuart's training involves running more than 45 miles a week

Though he will be the only one running the 40 marathons Stuart said he has a support team that will number at least 36 people including doctors, masseuses, drivers and others willing to lend a hand.
This is not Stuart's first marathon, in 1986 he completed the Glasgow Marathon in a little over three hours, but he has never done anything quite on this scale.
By the time the marathons come round Stuart will have been training for more than a year, he said: "I'm working carefully and cautiously toward the goal."
This has included working weekly on fitness with local cyclist Ann Bowditch as well as sticking to a strict diet and practicing yoga.
When Stuart spoke to us in October 2010 he was running five to six miles a day, and 11 on Saturdays and Sundays. But, he said the weekend runs would extend to 24 miles on the weekends as the challenge neared. (from BBC)

We will keep an eye on Stuarts progress..

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Running 40 marathons to raise a million pounds

Post by Dell on Tue 02 Nov 2010, 7:00 am

And you can follow updates and other news on this challlenge on the following: - info@jogtole.co.uk

Good luck to Stuart as he increases his training regime...

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top