Terrifying Halloween waste

Go down

Terrifying Halloween waste

Post by GD on Tue 26 Oct 2010, 9:03 pm

It's the time of year when a knock on the door doesn't necessarily mean a welcome visitor.

Halloween's this weekend - and across the islands children are getting their costumes ready and carving their pumpkins....

But for Guernsey's Public Services Department, what's really terrifying is the amount of waste this party produces. The rows of pumpkins ready to be carved can turn into a ton of rubbish heading for the tip. So this year they want islanders to bear the morning after in mind.

The seeds that get scooped out can be roasted and eaten, the flesh can be cooked up into something delicious - and once Halloween's over the whole thing can be put on the compost heap.

As well as ideas for what to do with your pumpkins, Public Services have got lots of other tips as to how islanders can heed their waste minimisation message this weekend.

Recycling Officer Tina Norman-Ross said: "To think about things like if you're trick or treating having loose biscuits to give to the children instead of packaged things, and all sorts of things like that really. Maybe with costumes making your own costumes instead of going out and buying them, or if you do have bought ones consider giving them to charity shops for re-use afterwards." (from CTV)

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Terrifying Halloween waste

Post by Thistle on Tue 26 Oct 2010, 9:38 pm

halloween should be banned..kids are warned not to talk to strangers and what happens on all hallows eve they are sent door to door begging from people they dont know x
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by schoolyjo on Wed 27 Oct 2010, 9:06 am

i totally agree thistle x

schoolyjo

Female
Number of posts : 177
Humor : exceedlingly wicked
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Wed 27 Oct 2010, 9:28 am

I will sit with light out ,door bell turned off and hopefully they will go away,I do not entertain this event ananother American thing that has crept into the places to earn manufactures monies .
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Wed 27 Oct 2010, 2:31 pm

Last year I didn't see any at all which is very unusual......so here's hoping for a repeat performance :-)
Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down