Chief Minister hails successful trip to Brussels

Go down

Chief Minister hails successful trip to Brussels

Post by Dell on Sat 11 Sep 2010, 2:19 pm

The Chief Minister of Guernsey returned to the Island today following a set of meetings with senior officials and politicians in Brussels which he hailed as “highly constructive”.

Deputy Lyndon Trott met a number of decision-makers in the European Commission over Tuesday and Wednesday during a programme of 14 meetings to discuss issues of direct importance to Guernsey’s economy, including financial services, tax policy and the role of so-called “third countries” such as Guernsey. The visit also enabled the Chief Minister and Chief Executive to promote the establishment of the Channel Islands office in Brussels, which is being set up in partnership with the Government of Jersey.

“This was an extremely useful and important set of meetings,” said Deputy Trott. “Decisions are made in Brussels which have a direct impact on us, so it is vital we make our voice heard and put our case forward effectively. That is what the previous two days have been all about.”

The Chief Minister’s meetings included sessions with senior officials from the Directorate-General for Internal Market and Services (DG MARKT), whose role is to co-ordinate the European Commission’s policy on the free movement of goods, services and capital within the EU.

Meetings also included briefings with Hungarian officials on their agenda for next EU Presidency, which Hungary will hold from January 2011; a session with EU President Barroso’s political advisers; and briefings with UK and Scottish Government representatives in Brussels.

Deputy Trott said: “These meetings are an important part of protecting our interests on the European economic and political stage. We are influencing the policies and thinking that will have a direct impact on the issues that are relevant to Guernsey’s future.”

Source: http://guernsey.isle-news.com/archives/chief-minister-hails-successful-trip-to-brussels/4012/#more-4012

A business necessity or a 'jolly'? What do you think?

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Chief Minister hails successful trip to Brussels

Post by karma on Sat 11 Sep 2010, 4:26 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Trumpet and Blowing your own springs to mind - but I suppose if you want to be 'impotant' you gotta act impotant!!!!
Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Sun 12 Sep 2010, 9:27 am

lol! Karma...... was the Freudian slip intentional here? (impotent / important) Darn funny if it was a typo!!!!

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Sun 12 Sep 2010, 1:00 pm

we are not part of the european union are we..imo yet another jolly for the big cheese x
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 on Sun 12 Sep 2010, 9:09 pm

Dell wrote: lol! Karma...... was the Freudian slip intentional here? (impotent / important) Darn funny if it was a typo!!!

Don't reckon that was a typo, I think it was the Two Ronnieswho "first" used it in one of their comedy sketches where they did some malapropism. Sure fits the bill in this context.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Sun 12 Sep 2010, 11:03 pm

You got it - it was intentional - I never heard the two Ronnies using it but someone once told me a joke with those lines in it and it has stuck!!! and describes Mr Trott's attitude in one :-))))
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Sun 12 Sep 2010, 11:11 pm

Hey Karma, welcome back! Good trip to la belle France today?

Dell

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Mon 13 Sep 2010, 1:05 am

Great Day Dell - but the journey from hell coming back - boat awash with full sick-bags :new2:
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by trucker on Mon 13 Sep 2010, 7:38 am

So now your Guernsey politicions are jumping on the gravy train. I see he had a meeting with Scottish representatives Why bother we have no influence in Brussels we just do what we are told.
As for Hungary taking over the Presidency good god an ex communist state is going to have the presidency of a giant capitalist organisation. As for the joke you refer to it would be probably deemed racist. Funny thing is a remember lenny henry telling it on tv years ago. The story was that his uncle went to the dr and when he came home he was wearing a top hat and his wife asks him why,he replied i was at the dr and he told me i was impotant so i is goin to act impotant.
trucker

Male
Number of posts : 79
Job/hobbies : Retired road and buiding site worker
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Mon 13 Sep 2010, 1:07 pm

Funny thing is a remember lenny henry telling it on tv years ago. The story was that his uncle went to the dr and when he came home he was wearing a top hat and his wife asks him why,he replied i was at the dr and he told me i was impotant so i is goin to act impotant.

That's the one :-)))))
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down