Minister stakes career on Suez plant being the answer

Go down

Minister stakes career on Suez plant being the answer

Post by GD on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 2:18 pm

Facing the callers, from the left: Public Services technical adviser Paul James, deputy chief officer Colette Brown and minister Bernard Flouquet. (Picture by Tom Tardif, 0906567)

THE Public Services minister yesterday said he would resign if plans for an energy from waste plant went up in smoke.
Deputy Bernard Flouquet came under fire yesterday morning on the BBC Guernsey phone-in.
‘No solution is going to find universal approval,’ he said.
Asked to stake his reputation and position on the line he said: ‘If it caused a major upheaval for the population of Guernsey, my own conscience would force me to resign.’
He was joined by PSD deputy chief officer Colette Brown and the department’s technical adviser, Paul James, to answer calls from islanders who said the incinerator was a ‘glorified bonfire which was too expensive’.
‘There has to be some sort of trust from the public that we are doing our job properly,’ said Deputy Flouquet.
He said nothing was ‘signed and sealed’ but this was a 21st century way of dealing with island waste. (from thisisguernsey)

mmm not a clever statement to make....

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Minister stakes career on Suez plant being the answer

Post by plimmerton811 on Mon 25 Jan 2010, 7:06 pm

Clever or not bet he would not stick by it. He has done worse (golliwog comment) and ignored public feeling by staying put. As for trust and doing the job properly, well perhaps previous experience is why the public have no trust that the job can be done properly.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 26 Feb 2010, 7:29 pm

Looks like Flouquet gonna be looking for a new job..lol

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Gimp on Fri 26 Feb 2010, 7:45 pm

The Gimp

Male
Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 on Fri 26 Feb 2010, 8:32 pm

Probably the right decision but personally I hate it when an organisation (any organisation) spends time and money into an investigation and comes up with the best idea then changes its mind.

Is Flouquets threat, sorry promise, to resign only stand if Suez is thrown out or can he clutch at straws and say the states are still looking at waste disposal only a different type.

If it relies on Suez then the man should have resigned already. We will now see how honorable he is.

Last edited by plimmerton811 on Fri 26 Feb 2010, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MOLE EXCAVATING on Fri 26 Feb 2010, 9:02 pm

How many times will Bernard Flouquet have to say
"I will not resign"?

MOLE EXCAVATING

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 on Fri 26 Feb 2010, 9:29 pm

What to lose credibility? once, after that he has no credibility to lose and becomes a joke. With no credibility to lose the man has no standards to keep so if he can live with himself and does not care what people think he can do what he wants. I would suggest that is what we havew seen in the past.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steve177 on Fri 26 Feb 2010, 9:59 pm

Trotty made a speech at the end, saying there should be no resignations given or asked for.

I have been one of Bernies biggest critics since he became PSD minister.
However I take it all back after today.
He did the right thing in the end.

Yes he was a bit of a cheerleader for Suez but as soon as the Lowe ammendment was approved he backed the Kuttlewascher requette and I think his speech turned a few incinerator fans.

If he can now accept that public opinion is part of democracy and embrace the new direction the States have voted for, then maybe he should be given a second chance.

steve177

Male
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by stan on Fri 26 Feb 2010, 10:23 pm

What he actually said (with considerable aforethought no doubt) was that if the Suez project went ahead and subsequently proved to be the wrong thing for Guernsey then he wouldn't be able to stay on.

Given that he won't be standing for re-election in 2012 (I've heard this first hand) then by the time the thing was anywhere near up and running and failing and being over budget, well he would be enjoying his retirement.

Hardly a committment to fall on one's sword was it?

Why the dogged pursuit of something so flawed in terms of both cost and technology then? And with a company which Spirit has very clearly pointed out has a very dubious 'legality' CV.

stan

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 26 Feb 2010, 10:57 pm

The States of Guernsey has abandoned plans to build a £93m energy-to-waste incinerator.
At the end of two-and-a-half days of debate, deputies voted in favour of an amended requete calling for the current plans to be scrapped.
Public Services Minister Bernard Flouquet, who was behind the plans, said he would support the move if it was the will of the assembly.
His department will now be responsible for drawing up a new waste strategy.
Public criticism
In July the States agreed to the plans for the incinerator and entered into negotiations with Suez Environment, a French company, to build the plant at Longue Hougue.
That decision has come under increasing public criticism with several other alternatives being put forward and a petition supporting one option being signed by more than 13,000 islanders.
A group of States members, led by Deputy Jan Kuttelwascher, placed a requete [Guernsey French for request] that if passed the incinerator plans would have been debated again by the States before a final contract was signed.
But two amendments to this requete were passed and changed its aims completely.
Deputy Mary Lowe's idea to scrap the plans completely and go back to the drawing board were passed by just one vote, 21-20.
Shipping waste
Six States members abstained from the vote, Deputy Sam Maindonald and the five members of the Environment Department.
The department had been informed they could not vote on the amendment as the planning process, for the plant, which under their responsibilities they may be asked to approved at a later date, had already begun.
The other move came from Deputy Rhoderick Matthews and directed the Public Services Department to revisit shipping waste to Jersey.
In the end the amended motion went through by 38-2 votes, with seven deputies abstaining. This again included the Environment Department and Deputy Maindonald with Deputy Mike Hadley joining them in frustration. (from BBC)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stan on Fri 26 Feb 2010, 11:29 pm

So Hadley failed to register a vote (ie do his job) because he was "frustrated"?

Surely we pay these people to research and take part in important debates armed with the knowledge which they are paid to acquire?

We all get frustrated in our jobs from time to time, but that doesn't mean we can simply say "ah f*** it, I won't contribute".

I voted for this guy last time round because I thought he'd be a breath of fresh air. Seems he's more stale than many of the others who at least had the maturity to get out of the playground.

At least he won't have to "enjoy" views of the incongruous incinerator from the incongruous [but approved .............. surprisingly!!] new house he's having built on the cliff top off the Jerbourg Road.

stan

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 on Sat 27 Feb 2010, 12:13 am

steve177 wrote:Trotty made a speech at the end, saying there should be no resignations given or asked for.

I have been one of Bernies biggest critics since he became PSD minister.
However I take it all back after today.
He did the right thing in the end.

Yes he was a bit of a cheerleader for Suez but as soon as the Lowe ammendment was approved he backed the Kuttlewascher requette and I think his speech turned a few incinerator fans.

If he can now accept that public opinion is part of democracy and embrace the new direction the States have voted for, then maybe he should be given a second chance.

Stan he just had his second chance following the Golliwog fiasco, this will be his third chance.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steve177 on Sat 27 Feb 2010, 1:16 am

Hadley has been a consistent failure on every level.
He just cannot debate and is prone to tantrums.
It is an embarrasment listening to him in the States.

When I held a presentation for Deputies on our waste proposal, he had a xenophobic rant about Italians and stormed out, to much bemusement from the audience.

steve177

Male
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by boatyboy on Fri 19 Mar 2010, 3:01 pm

What can you say, in this modern world of elf and safety ? This is not rubbish outside notice the top of the chimney.

http://temoins.rtl.fr/fr/videos/actu/2010-03-17/716/video-violent-incendie-a-l-incinerateur-d-issy-les-moulineaux.html

BB

boatyboy

Male
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down