Guernsey budget reveals tax rise

Go down

Guernsey budget reveals tax rise

Post by GD on Fri 20 Nov 2009, 2:25 pm

Taxes on tobacco, petrol, spirits and property have all gone up in Guernsey's budget for 2010.
Tax on real property (TRP) has risen 10% with a 15% increase on tobacco, petrol and alcoholic spirits.
The move to increase indirect taxation is a bid to address next year's projected 42m budget shortfall.
Treasury and Resources Minister Charles Parkinson said all departments and committees of the States would need to show utmost restraint in expenditure.

Clearly we can not go on running a deficit of 40m a year and the fiscal policy requires that we take steps to rectify that

Charles Parkinson

Deputy Parkinson said the cost of beer, cider and wine remained the same to ensure Guernsey's hospitality industry was not damaged.
He said: "The States of Guernsey have had the luxury of operating in an environment where public revenues have been relatively plentiful in the past.
"The new environment is obviously a tough one for departments to adjust to, but it is the reality of the world in which we live.
"Clearly we can not go on running a deficit of 40m a year and the fiscal policy requires that we take steps to rectify that."
Smokers have to pay 40p extra duty on a packet of 20 cigarettes, while motorists face a rise of about 5p on a litre of petrol.
The price of a litre of spirits, 25-50% ABV (alcohol by volume), has risen by 1.26 and the tax on a typical domestic property has increased by less than 10.
Deputy Parkinson said: "Obviously it's always a bit of a guess as to what actually will be raised, people do buy their cigarettes duty free and bring them on to the island so the amount of revenue we raise from duties is not always proportionate to the increase in the rate."
The duty on cigarettes, petrol and spirits went up at midnight but retailers only have to pass the rise on to customers when current stocks run out. (from BBC)

Tax Tax and more Tax...

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Guernsey budget reveals tax rise

Post by tanky on Fri 20 Nov 2009, 10:03 pm

1.26 on a bottle of glen fiddich! Fuel up! 40p on a pack of smokes! Bloody daylight robbery

tanky

Male
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Fri 20 Nov 2009, 10:09 pm

Easy pickings from an inept government (they do it in the name of our health and green issues - what a load of bull!!!)
Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by tanky on Fri 20 Nov 2009, 10:12 pm

Why cant we tax pedestrians, cyclists, health freaks, anti smokers instead for a change??

tanky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Fri 20 Nov 2009, 10:20 pm

Dream on Tanky
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by tanky on Fri 20 Nov 2009, 10:27 pm

Did i miss somthing, i was being serious!

tanky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Fri 20 Nov 2009, 10:52 pm

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Fri 20 Nov 2009, 10:56 pm

tanky wrote:Why cant we tax pedestrians, cyclists instead for a change??

They already do. It is called A&E.

"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tanky on Fri 20 Nov 2009, 11:18 pm

Very good spirit, well done.

tanky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 on Sat 21 Nov 2009, 7:47 am

tanky wrote:Did i miss somthing, i was being serious!

So was Karma

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Sat 21 Nov 2009, 10:48 am

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 on Sat 21 Nov 2009, 2:36 pm

I can take the tax hikes because of the inevitability BUT the spin that goes with it drives me up the wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do these clowns really believe that people are going to drive less because of fuel costs???????????????
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 on Sun 22 Nov 2009, 8:06 am

bug1 wrote:I can take the tax hikes because of the inevitability BUT the spin that goes with it drives me up the wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do these clowns really believe that people are going to drive less because of fuel costs???????????????

Of course they don't think you will drive less. They are banking on you driving exactly the same as you do now.

They checked the bank account, saw it was in the red and asked "where can we get some more pennies, that's it add a tax on something that people find indispensable, something they won't give up, got it, keep fit, we will tax running, 5 pence on every mile run as recreation. Der' said 5 fumbs that's going to fill a really deep hole, might even fill a polo. Let's tax petrol again and tell them we want to stop people driving. We will also add a bit on booze and fags, tell them we are looking after their 'ealth. That way we'll make a packet"

Now if everyone stopped driving they would probably tax recreational running cause filling a polo may not be the black hole but it is better than nothing. So you see they really want you to drive just as much as before.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassandra on Sun 06 Dec 2009, 3:57 pm

GD wrote:
Treasury and Resources Minister Charles Parkinson said all departments and committees of the States would need to show utmost restraint in expenditure.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Cassandra

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down