Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out"

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Waste & Recycling "Dr David Jeffs speaks out"

Post by Digger on Thu 07 Aug 2008, 8:21 pm

I am nearly speechless i have been saying for over two years that we do not need a huge incinerator . Another waste of tax payers money ,when will they listen to people who know all they have to do is contact the staff at the plant in the IOM as they will tell them the full story on how it needs so much rubbish to keep it running it is just not cost affective. It costs £36.000 to stop and start it (and that info is from someone who built it) they are searching high and low for rubbish to run it . The States of Guernsey are unbeliveable.

Digger

Number of posts : 7134
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw on Sun 10 Aug 2008, 7:15 pm

How many of you folks actually do care about the environment here in Gsy??

Last edited by Pete Burtenshaw on Sun 10 Aug 2008, 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spacing not right)

Pete Burtenshaw

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger on Sun 10 Aug 2008, 7:43 pm

Have you been down the recycling bins Pete ? there is always someone there . I think most people do care about the environment over here as i have said before the will of the people is there but the States are yet again dragging their feet.As a side note have you ever known the states to decide on something during one term let alone one year?

Digger

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 26 Aug 2008, 7:46 pm

NEW recycling initiatives should be brought in without delay, according to Deputy David De Lisle.
The former Environment minister, who in January 2007 successfully placed an amendment for the States to adopt a target of 50% recycling by 2010, said he was disappointed by the lack of steps taken by Public Services to achieve that figure.
He feels the department is underestimating the drive islanders have for recycling after Public Services minister Bernard Flouquet said he did not believe recyclable figures would increase until the majority of islanders changed their ways.
‘This is a very negative posture to take,’ said Deputy De Lisle.
‘We are all depending on the co-operation and dynamism of Public Services and its minister to move recycling forward.
‘It’s not the people but the department that needs to mend its ways and seize opportunities to recycle more. People are not holding back – they want to move forward.’
Figures released on Wednesday showed recycling had stabilised at just below 31%.
Deputy De Lisle said this was not good enough.
‘It has delayed bringing in new recycling initiatives and that’s with the number showing that some would yield substantial profitability for government. Public Services has delayed introducing in-vessel composting until a preferred end-disposal facility is considered and it has delayed bringing in kerbside recycling island-wide.’ (thisisguernsey)

GD

Number of posts : 10122
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 23 Sep 2008, 12:15 pm

PUBLIC SERVICES’ recycling report will be called into question at tomorrow’s States meeting.

Deputy David De Lisle has issued a set of questions he wants answered by minister Bernard Flouquet to explain what he describes as a lack of drive and effort by the department to increase the island’s recycling rate.

Deputy De Lisle said the questions stemmed from unsatisfactory responses the minister gave in a Guernsey Press article last month. In the article Deputy Flouquet warned it would be difficult to reach 50% recycling if food waste was excluded from any kerbside collection system.

In January 2007, Deputy De Lisle, as Environment minister, successfully placed an amendment for the States to adopt a target of 50% recycling by 2010.

‘I don’t believe we are going ahead fast enough. I’m obviously committed to meeting the 50% by 2010 in both commercial and household recycling but I don’t feel enough is happening on the commercial side because a lot of material is still going down the tip that could be considered for recycling.’ (from thisisguernsey)

GD

Back to top Go down

Recycling scheme for milk cartons

Post by GD on Fri 10 Oct 2008, 11:42 am

Householders in Guernsey will be able to recycle milk cartons for the first time when a new scheme is launched in a week's time.

From Thursday 16 October islanders will be able to drop empty cartons off at eight "bring banks" around the island.

A report earlier this year said the number of households recycling rubbish in the island had "stalled", with just 31% of waste recycled in three months.

The States target is 50% of households recycling by 2010.

Deputy Public Services Minister Scott Ogier said: "I think now we're getting nearly as much as we can out of the waste stream.

"Our next target is getting more people to recycle." (from BBC News)

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger on Fri 10 Oct 2008, 7:27 pm

That's good news less to put in landfill.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it".

Digger

Male
Job/hobbies : Motorsport, Photography, Gardening.
Humor : Absolutely !!

Back to top Go down

Fridge graveyard ‘is an eyesore and health risk’

Post by GD on Sat 18 Oct 2008, 3:41 pm

HUNDREDS of potentially hazardous fridges waiting to be recycled are being stockpiled at Longue Hougue.
Public Services is unable to remove harmful CFCs from them because of changes made to UK waste regulations last year.
That needs to happen before they can be sent for recycling. In the past the process was carried out at Mont Cuet or the Fontaine waste segregation site, but with no immediate option some 300-400 fridges are waiting to be de-gassed.
‘We have been in discussion with Environmental Health regarding the storage of fridges at Longue Hougue and they are satisfied that this interim arrangement is the best while a long-term solution is found,’ said Public Services minister Bernard Flouquet.
‘Clearly this is not an ideal situation, but it is one that has been necessitated by the change in UK legislation and we are making all reasonable efforts to minimise any possible environmental impact.’
A concerned resident contacted the Guernsey Press after spotting the fridges while flying over the island. (from thisisguernsey)

This I thnk is going to cost the tax-payer £100's to get rid of them....

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Thu 23 Oct 2008, 6:39 pm

GUERNSEY is in danger of missing its recycling target. The States has set a goal of 50% by 2010.
Public Services is in charge of cutting the island’s waste. During discussions on whether food waste should be included in a full scale kerbside collection scheme if one was introduced, minister Bernard Flouquet said a consultant’s report indicated that it was a clear factor in being able to achieve the 50% target.
If it was not introduced it brought the recycling figure down to 46%. The department was debating a recommendation that because of factors such as the land available for the resultant product, processing food waste would not be viable and so should not go ahead.
They decided to find out the cost of a further study on the issue before voting on whether to reject the idea. Deputy minister Scott Ogier argued successfully that it had not had a response from companies interested in dealing with food waste.
‘With regard to 50%, it’s a target to aim for, but we have to be very careful how we do it,’ he said. (from thisisguernsey)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sat 29 Nov 2008, 5:01 pm

Kerbside recycling plans are scrapped

By Jess Stevenson
PLANS to introduce island-wide kerbside recycling have been scrapped.
Collecting food waste for composting might have made the scheme viable.
But health and environmental concerns, particularly on the part of the dairy industry, have ruled that out.
And Public Services said yesterday that the cost of collection - at least £600,000 and possibly up to £1m. a year - did not justify a minimal increase in other forms of recycling.
Trials using 1,750 homes in St Peter Port (North) and St Peter’s suggested that the scheme would not offer value for money.
Public Services member Deputy Tony Spruce (pictured) said that compared to the UK, Guernsey was already achieving a good recycling rate through its bring bank system. (from thisiguernsey)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger on Sat 29 Nov 2008, 7:26 pm

Is this a joke ? OK its OK to send two thumbs all over the world but back home we cannot have kerbside recycling . i am sorry but the will is there and it is working . What sort of message is this sending out to the general public ?

IMO there is an underlining strategery they want mass burn incinerator ! .. blinkered government that's what we have.

Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 02 Dec 2008, 7:21 pm

PUBLIC Services’ decision to scrap plans for island-wide kerbside recycling is a step backwards for the island, according to an environmental action-group member.
G-Can committee member Rosie Dorey said the move would be a huge step backwards in the island’s need to tackle its waste problems.
‘We are disappointed,’ she said. ‘It’s bound to end up in a reduction in recycling rates and an increase in waste which needs to be disposed of.
‘The department’s decision flies in the face of the EU directive, which states that Europe must become a recycling community. It should be an absolute priority.’
Public Services announced last week that plans to introduce an island-wide kerbside collection had been dropped on grounds of cost. (from thisisguernsey)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger on Tue 02 Dec 2008, 7:54 pm

Well i have spoken to a few people this week and most of them have said when it stops they will not bother going down the bring banks they will just fill up the black sacks like before. There are some weak excuses in the report like the noise of the lorry "What" , the labour (there was one bloke in a little van ) .

Pull your fingers out States members the public want this and are keen to take part. If they were to stop wasting money on crap like consultants they could afford to carry on this scheme.

Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ploughman on Tue 02 Dec 2008, 8:20 pm

Ithink you are a bit wrong on the labour issue, Digger, it was 5 blokes in a states work pickup van, one of the caged ones, like the road sweepers use. Although the guys used where ,i believe , on the field work scheme, the driver was a swd employee, so there is a labour cost issue.
As for people saying that they will just put the stuff in the normal black bag waste, well, they are the sort that are only committed to recycling if some one does it for them!! Too lazy to recycle it for themselves, they expect the states to do it for them FOC.
In my opinion, if you want to recycle ,you will , and if that means going to one of the many bring banks dotted around the island, it isnt exactly a big trip for any one, there are plenty around guernsey.
This is the usual Guernsey mentality of expecting the states to do everything for joe public again.
ploughman

Male
Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger on Tue 02 Dec 2008, 8:41 pm

What about people with no transport it is not easy for them to recycle , and why start a scheme if you had no intention to keep it up . I am afraid this is all for one purpose ,the road to Mass burn that's what they really want "Blinkerd" .Oh and i still recycle everything i can do. :)

Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Thu 04 Dec 2008, 9:40 pm

KERBSIDE recycling’s future will be decided by the States if Public Services does not change its plan to scrap it.
Former Environment minister David De Lisle (pictured), who was behind moves to set a 50% recycling target, will press current minister Bernard Flouquet on the issue with questions at the next States meeting.
‘I’m totally devastated by the news,’ said Deputy De Lisle. ‘The trials were going well. People were asking for it in their parishes, in Town and St Peter’s, for it parish-wide. People feel let down.’
He will lay a requete if Deputy Flouquet does not say next week that the decision will be reconsidered.
‘The announcement has taken me and others by surprise,’ said Deputy De Lisle. ‘It gives little notice until cut-off at the end of this month. It is a regressive step, particularly after the announcement in August that with kerbside collections of dry recyclables recycling would reach 46% and with food waste collection we could progress to 61%.
‘The problem is simply how the department can possibly comply with the resolution of the States and the will of the people without kerbside collection.’ (from thisisguernsey)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Mon 15 Dec 2008, 8:22 am

Tip 'could last eight more years'

Recycling saved 6,500 tonnes from going into landfill in 2007

Guernsey's landfill site could last up to eight more years if current dumping trends continue, the island's Public Services Department says.
The amount of waste sent to Mont Cuet has seen a significant reduction.
It is estimated that 37,000 tonnes of waste will go to landfill this year, compared to just under 44,000 in 2007.
The department is putting much of it down to more green waste recycling. States reports have warned the tip is expected to reach capacity by 2012.
Green waste recycling saved 6,500 tonnes from going into landfill in 2007. The waste, which includes wood, plants and grass, is shredded for soil conditioner instead of going to landfill.
Public Services Minister Bernard Flouquet said extending the life of the site was a key element of the island's waste strategy and the removal of green waste had made a significant contribution.
However, he added that a decision on a solution for the future treatment of the island's waste was needed without delay (from BBC News)

Well maybe the year its full our States will finally make the finally decide what to do....

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 23 Dec 2008, 8:05 pm

‘We still put raw sewage in the Russel and rubbish in a hole’

RETIRING director of public health Dr David Jeffs has spoken out against the lack of progress on sewage and refuse disposal - issues with health implications.
‘When I first arrived in 1994 we had the waste strategy assessment,’ he said.
‘Now, 15 years later, we are still putting our rubbish in a hole in the ground and our sewage into the Little Russel.’
Dr Jeffs (pictured), who helped bring health statistics into the public domain, is being succeeded by Dr Stephen Bridgman at the beginning of January.
‘I think my big contribution is that we’ve had measurement of health information at the forefront of what we are trying to do,’ said Dr Jeffs. (from thisisguernsey)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger on Tue 23 Dec 2008, 8:08 pm

For once i agree with him its disgusting.

Digger

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by trucker on Mon 10 Aug 2009, 3:21 am

The ECO DECO plant is now fully operational in Dumfries. There s also an energy from waste plant been built in the same area.
Everthng is put in one bin or plastic bags the bags cost 50p each. If your bin is not shut it doe not get lifted.
You can only use White Bags purchased from the council.Dumfries and Galloway has one of the worst recycling records in Scotland. Paper carboard metal glass all go in one bin and is then sorted at the ecodeco plant. The burnable waste is then treated and is now to be used in the new power plant. Metal is recycled. whilst glass is i beleive crushed for road making. Ant waste which cannot be reused is then sent to land fill.
If you have to dispose of white goods there is a £30 charge per item. It is all about more cash for the council.
The problem with this system is the amount of milage involved in transporting the waste from one area to another.
trucker

Male
Number of posts : 79
Job/hobbies : Retired road and buiding site worker
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2