Legal Highs to be banned

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Legal Highs to be banned

Post by wayside on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 10:28 am

Nobody has said the using of it makes anyone a lowlife,

there are laws in place covering all booze and medicines, these products are not governed at all and thats whats wrong,

You can not legally buy a packet of 12 Parecetamol from a grocery shop here because our outdated law bans the sale (except by pharmacy) of medicines that have ingriedients not on the OK List which is about 50 years old, yet it seems OK to sell products that are at least imitating illegal drugs, that cant be right.

If these items have any medicinal claims then they should be banned under the existing law.

wayside

Number of posts : 700
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Fast Robert on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 11:06 am

But if the existing law is a*rse-about-t1t, based on some old wives tales then the whole thing needs rethinking. I agree that there should be regulation, can't you see my argument? If we can do it for other dangerous substances like booze, why not for eveythng else?

What makes alcohol so special? IT KILLS KIDS FFS isn't that enough for you to want it gone from society forever?

Fast Robert

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by killer on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 1:48 pm

Fast Robert you keep bringing up alcohol and kids ever thought that the parents of these kids should step in because 9 out of 10times these parents no their kids drink do drugs (legal/illegal) yet do nothing apart from moan about it maybe its time these parents got of their moaning backsides and did something about it.

killer

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Fast Robert on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 2:02 pm

yes killer, unfortunately they think it's someone elses problem, the parents are first to call for a ban, but if they're kids how the hell are they getting it?

Some adult somewhere is giving the stuff to children. That's where the blame lies.

Fast Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by killer on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 2:12 pm

Well like i said earlier spice ain't the problem its like you said kids with alcohol and other legal highs which are far more dangerous than spice yet people think spice is the only legal high on this island and what there kids are taking but since the shops were banned people are buying more dangerous legal highs like i mentioned earlier.

Then we have the bigger problem when you ban the legal stuff your going to have them on the real stuff which unfortunately at the moment in time is easier to get over here, and as its getting harder to buy the legal highs the price is pretty much the same as the real stuff so your a kid you've got money what you going to do buy legal or real and get a bigger kick out of it.

i know for a fact alot of people have gone to the illegal as its now the same price as legal all because they banned shops from selling spice.

So we have banned spice and have made things worse of in the island with real drugs.

killer

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 3:07 pm

I understand where everybody is coming from - but I have a great deal of problem coming to terms with why people need legal/illegal highs to enjoy life......seems to me that it is creating false 'happiness' - a job well done or a day out looking around this lovely island/a day with your family etc etc should give you a real 'non dangerous' high!!! Why does everybody need to feel 'high'???? isn't being alive and having a life enough cause to be on a high?????
Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by killer on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 3:16 pm

ok don't take this the wrong way karma but people your age like to explore the island be with the family while young people want to explore other things like sex, drugs, smoking, alcohol.

killer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 3:29 pm

Killer - with respect there is nothing new under the sun - and we have been there with sex, alcohol and smoking - but when I was bought up sex was not talked about and only thought about and was so to speak the forbidden fruit!! alcohol and smoking was glamorised in films etc etc (see any black and white movie with Audrey Hepburn in glamour pose-long cigarette in one hand and drink in the other) - having two kids of 38 and 40 and grandchildren of 19 and 11 I know they were/are taught the danger of smoking, alcohol abuse and drugs at school and through the media - you all know a lot more than we do because it is spoken about - so why are today's kids not listening to what is being said????
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by killer on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 4:20 pm

because they are modern day kids i was the same we don't care what adults tell us.

killer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fast Robert on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 4:39 pm

Why don't you care, killer? One day you'll want kids to listen to you...
Fast Robert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by killer on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 4:43 pm

well i cant answer that as im only one person so the only response you will get out of me is why i do.

killer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 6:01 pm

A cynic could comment on the coincidence that this is hitting the media spotlight at the same time that someone is trying to get a housing license extension. Fortunately I am not a cynic.

"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 9:02 pm

Had a read throught this thread and it strikes me that some are under the illusion that because it is legal it is okay to take this crap. Booze and cig's are also legal and they are also killers even when used in moderation. So if this spice makes you less than fully compus mentus then it is dangerous so why bother. Is it also the thin end of the wedge, try spice wow isn't it great and then try cannabis to get a better kick then it escalates.

plimmerton811

Male
Number of posts : 717
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by technophobe on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 9:21 pm

plimmerton811 wrote:Had a read throught this thread and it strikes me that some are under the illusion that because it is legal it is okay to take this crap. Booze and cig's are also legal and they are also killers even when used in moderation. So if this spice makes you less than fully compus mentus then it is dangerous so why bother. Is it also the thin end of the wedge, try spice wow isn't it great and then try cannabis to get a better kick then it escalates.

I think that numerous studies have proved that cigarettes and alcohol are the real "gateway" drugs. So why are they legal when other substances, that have been shown to be less harmful, aren't?

Could it be because those in power enjoy their cigarettes, cigars, wine, whisky etc whilst condemning those who simply choose an alternative drug?

technophobe

Male
Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 9:28 pm

i lived through the 60's and remember the stories of sex,drugs and rock and roll.my parents never talked to me about sex,drugs was something rock stars and hippies used.underage drinking was what we used to do but we always kept in the background so we would'nt be caught.it is my opinion that the youth of today don't give a jot if something is illegal or not if they want to use it they will.there are always people willing to sell whatever anybody wants to try.sad i know but a fact of life.
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 10:46 pm

technophobe wrote:
plimmerton811 wrote:Had a read throught this thread and it strikes me that some are under the illusion that because it is legal it is okay to take this crap. Booze and cig's are also legal and they are also killers even when used in moderation. So if this spice makes you less than fully compus mentus then it is dangerous so why bother. Is it also the thin end of the wedge, try spice wow isn't it great and then try cannabis to get a better kick then it escalates.

I think that numerous studies have proved that cigarettes and alcohol are the real "gateway" drugs. So why are they legal when other substances, that have been shown to be less harmful, aren't?

Could it be because those in power enjoy their cigarettes, cigars, wine, whisky etc whilst condemning those who simply choose an alternative drug?

There is little doubt that if booze and cigs were introduced now that there would be huge sanctions but it is like a lot of things now that they are established in society they will be very difficult to dislodge. There is also a financial and social aspect that has to be considered, not only in taxes but in jobs to produce and promote the product. Unfortunately we have gone too far done the line for those two products so it is a waste of time for peple to keep throwing them up in arguements but we are not too far down the line for new products. Remember those in power tried to stop alcohol in the prohibition years in the US and there was a dismal failure so let's not blame those in power because there is sod all they can do about alcohol and cigs other than tax users to the hilt.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fast Robert on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 11:37 pm

man goes to moon in a saucepan guided by a computer that could barely count to ten. But it's so much easier to make law and ask the cops to sweep it all up, followed by a report and a meaningless percentage. It really isn't very progressive. A war of attrition. No one has anything to lose if you don't target the machine that makes it work.

Last edited by Fast Robert on Tue 18 Aug 2009, 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : reason for anything?)
Fast Robert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by killer on Wed 19 Aug 2009, 12:19 am

Fast Robert wrote:man goes to moon in a saucepan guided by a computer that could barely count to ten. But it's so much easier to make law and ask the cops to sweep it all up, followed by a report and a meaningless percentage. It really isn't very progressive. A war of attrition. No one has anything to lose if you don't target the machine that makes it work.

What???

killer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wayside on Wed 19 Aug 2009, 12:41 am

Maybe thats what spice does to you :-)
wayside

Male
Number of posts : 700
Humor : If Its Funny, Its Funny
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by killer on Wed 19 Aug 2009, 12:51 am

never done that to me

killer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fast Robert on Wed 19 Aug 2009, 1:20 am

it's not rocket science. don't we want control? it starts with rational debate based on all the evidence.

but we choose to let criminals have more influence over our children.

ah sod it, we say, the cops'll sort it, two quadruple whiskies and a pair of pints of cider, please, my fine dealer.
Fast Robert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by killer on Wed 19 Aug 2009, 3:19 pm

Yes we want control but banning everything and making everything illegal isn't the way forward.

killer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Thu 20 Aug 2009, 5:35 pm

The legal high "Spice" is to be classified as a class B drug on Guernsey once its contents is known.

It is currently legal to buy the drug from the internet or off-island.
Guernsey's Home Minister, Geoff Mahy said: We have banned the commercial importation. It should be classified as a dangerous drug."

"As soon as we get the go-ahead from the medical officer on the identification of the contents we will take action.

The commercial importing and exporting of "legal highs" - herbs and chemicals sold as an alternative to some illegal drugs - was banned in April.

From BBC News online

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Thu 20 Aug 2009, 6:01 pm

I see the shop opposite me that was selling legal highs is closing tomorrow!!! Don't know if the town one is as well but the ban must be having an effect.....
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by killer on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 12:12 am

Yes karma the town shop is closing as well as the most amount of business they had was from selling spice.

killer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by killer on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 1:52 am

This another reason to keep spice legal and for shops 2 sell it as it was cheaper to buy here rather than online

killer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plimmerton811 on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 5:36 am

killer wrote:This another reason to keep spice legal and for shops 2 sell it as it was cheaper to buy here rather than online

No, that is not a reason to allow spice to be sold. That is a reason for people to make money.

plimmerton811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fast Robert on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 8:42 am

Pubs are doing a good trade in selling drugs plimmerton, but when one closes because of greedy landowners or supermarkets there's uproar about destroying community! Next time i see a drunk kid i'll say, oh it's ok, it's booze, nothing serious.
Fast Robert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 9:54 am

killer wrote:Yes karma the town shop is closing as well as the most amount of business they had was from selling spice.

Thought that must be the case as the 'owner' Brad is now driving skip lorries......
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by killer on Fri 21 Aug 2009, 11:48 am

yeah karma as soon as spice was banned no 1 had a reason 2 shop there

killer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content