GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Troy McClure on Wed 18 Feb 2009, 8:58 pm

Freight charges btw; I know that the cost of sending the same item of freight to Jersey is 75.3% higher than sending it within the UK, even if it's going Southampton to Aberdeen. Jersey can be charged at the same rate as Gibraltar, Malta or Switzerland. That rate btw is a wholesale rate, so individual business may get hit even harder dependent on their contracts.

Troy McClure

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Troy McClure on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 7:10 am

karma wrote:They pockets it .......so why declare it!!!!!!...
karma I believe you're in Gsy; correct? and I'm guessing you have no financial connection to the United States; correct?

If so; why don't you declare your income to the US Internal Revenue Service?

Troy McClure

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by karma on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 10:03 am

No Troy - I do not have to declare to the United States but I do have to declare to the Australian authorities - which my husband and I do!!!! So excuse me if I am not sure which point you are trying to make!

karma

Number of posts : 16109
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Troy McClure on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 11:47 am

You really don't get the point I'm making?!

My point is that you don't declare to the US because you don't have to; the same reason that local retailer don't declare to HMR&C their VAT, because they don't have to; why? Because they DON'T charge VAT.


Last edited by Thistle on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : overquoting)

Troy McClure

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Thistle on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 3:25 pm

what is the reason they are charging uk prices then.ticket price in uk chains includes vat so they are making a healthy profit not deducting the vat.they are charging it but using wonderful new words for it freightage,rents wages.pmsl

Thistle

Number of posts : 10987
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Troy McClure on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 4:25 pm

Freight, rent, wages, marketing, purchase price, insurance, profit, tax, social security, heating, lighting etc. etc. etc. These are the elements that make up the cost of all goods, here, in the UK, in the US, in China, wherever. Very few of them are 'new' words or ideas.

The selling cost is decided at by the seller, and the purchaser; it's a market. Whether you like it or not, those are the facts.


Last edited by Thistle on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : please do not quote from the post directly above your reply.overquoting)

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Location : Jersey
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Thistle on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 5:07 pm

as we have been saying they keep the vat from the ticket price to help pay for all these things
avatar
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Location : guernsey
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Troy McClure on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 6:12 pm

As I've been saying there is no VAT on the ticket price, the price is just the price (GST may be added to it at the POS, but that should be clearly stated on or around the shelf). To make claims that we are charged VAT is false. To make claims the retailers are charging VAT is false.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Location : Jersey
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by x360 on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 6:21 pm

Troy McClure wrote:You really don't get the point I'm making?!

My point is that you don't declare to the US because you don't have to; the same reason that local retailer don't declare to HMR&C their VAT, because they don't have to; why? Because they DON'T charge VAT.

WRONG, as someone who purchases several cd's weekly for work from the USA and OZ we have to pay "customs duty" ie VAT to the repective countries. You have no choice to pay as customs inform the couier to collect the monies before they release the goods.

x360

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Thistle on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 8:25 pm

wrong troy.wrong wrong wrong.you don't get it do you the goods come in from theuk bearing the price tickests which is inclusive of the vat charge.the shops here do not deduct this portion.so get a life mate .i have asked in my local evans shop today to be told the ticket price is inclusive of vat but that they no longer deduct it for the islands
avatar
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Location : guernsey
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by karma on Thu 19 Feb 2009, 9:49 pm

Evans told me the same.....maybe Troy didn't understand the 'factored in' bit of my post.....
avatar
karma

Female
Number of posts : 16109
Location : Guernsey/Australia
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Thistle on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 9:07 am

the following was published in the guernsey press in september 2008




CONSUMERS have the power to stop UK-based retailers charging VAT inclusive prices in Guernsey, according to the Commerce and Employment minister.


Deputy Carla McNulty Bauer made the comment at the Chamber of Commerce’s breakfast seminar entitled ‘Challenges and opportunities facing Guernsey’s retail industry’.

Environment minister Peter Sirett, Public Services minister Bernard Flouquet and Home minister Geoff Mahy were also quizzed by the audience, along with Chamber’s head of retail, Tony Creasey.

‘One of the UK-based firms in the High Street was charging VAT inclusive rates and every time I went in there, I made a comment to the staff and I’m delighted to see they have now cut their prices,’ said Deputy McNulty Bauer.


‘If consumers put the pressure on staff the message will get through to management and hopefully something will happen.’

Mr Creasey explained that often UK-based firms continued charging VAT inclusive prices because the Guernsey market was too small for them to bother altering their IT systems.


Drawing on his experience of running Guernsey’s Marks & Spencer franchise, he said operating costs in the island had continued to rise steeply.

‘No retailers are making huge amounts of money. Now that everybody has access to the internet and the global marketplace, the opportunity to shop around for the right deal is huge. It’s a tight business.’

The topic of investing in a better infrastructure for cruise ships was also discussed at the seminar, which was held at the Duke of Richmond Hotel on Wednesday morning.

Deputy Mahy said Guernsey should focus on giving cruise passengers the best possible welcome when they arrived in the island.

‘It’s very messy at the moment and we need to get our act together. People who spend a day here could recommend Guernsey to their friends and families for a holiday. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.’

Deputy Flouquet said concerns over whether trade from cruise ships was sustainable in Guernsey were holding back further investment.

‘For the foreseeable future business looks good, with 80 cruise liners booked in for next season already.

‘We could build a jetty out there for one or two liners at a cost of £80m., but external factors could cause the trade to pass us by.

‘We’re having discussions with Commerce and Employment about it, but whether this is a long-term future market is debatable.’
avatar
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Location : guernsey
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Troy McClure on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 12:23 pm

x360 wrote:WRONG, as someone who purchases several cd's weekly for work from the USA and OZ we have to pay "customs duty" ie VAT to the repective countries. You have no choice to pay as customs inform the couier to collect the monies before they release the goods.
I'm not wrong; if you want to claim I am at least offer some proof to support your claim.

As far as you paying ""customs duty" ie VAT" in the countries where you've made purchases because customs collect from the courier, you haven't really given enough information for me to really consider that fully; but if you've purchased items exported from the US or OZ then there may well be Import Duty to pay, which is different to VAT by the way, but that would be on entry to the EEC(as different to the EU I believe). I don't know much about sales taxes in either country, but I'm aware that in the US you wouldn't have to pay sales tax on items bought online unless the website was operated by a business that also had a physical retail presence in the State where the website is based, or something.

Anyway, to claim I'm wrong that for stating local retailers in Jersey do not charge VAT because you may be paying a sales tax on goods you import from the US is ludicrous.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Location : Jersey
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Troy McClure on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 12:32 pm

Thistle wrote:...so get a life mate...
:roll:

I'm not wrong. I'm sorry, but that is a fact. The ticket price on the goods in evans in Guernsey does not include any element of UK VAT, whatever the sales assistant may tell you. I suggest you speak to somebody in their finance dept. who deals with the business VAT returns and have them confirm that to you. It may be that the sales assistant is as misinformed as you are.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Location : Jersey
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Troy McClure on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 12:41 pm

karma wrote:Evans told me the same.....maybe Troy didn't understand the 'factored in' bit of my post.....
Or maybe you don't understand the factored in bit of your own post?

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Location : Jersey
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Thistle on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 2:11 pm

troy just read my last post at 9.07am.these comments are from people who know not somebody who thinks he knows everything
avatar
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Location : guernsey
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Troy McClure on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 6:00 pm

A very long post, of which this is the only part really relevant to the discussion here.
Thistle wrote:...‘One of the UK-based firms in the High Street was charging VAT inclusive rates and every time I went in there, I made a comment to the staff and I’m delighted to see they have now cut their prices,’ said Deputy McNulty Bauer...
I would happily challenge the Dep. and say they are as wrong as you on the subject.

So, as far as your post on the subject we're discussing, it's not a case of comments from people know; its a case of a single comment, from a single person, who is wrong.

I don't claim to know everything, but I am right in this case, and I'm very sorry that you don't understand.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Location : Jersey
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Thistle on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 6:07 pm

you are wrong mate accept it.by the way tony creasey admits they sell goods inclusive of vat in my post. 👅
avatar
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Location : guernsey
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Troy McClure on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 6:29 pm

I'm not wrong.

And please show me where in your post Tony Creasey is quoted as admitting 'they' charge VAT in their prices, because I don't see that he is.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Location : Jersey
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Thistle on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 6:33 pm

here it is.



Mr Creasey explained that often UK-based firms continued charging VAT inclusive prices because the Guernsey market was too small for them to bother altering their IT systems.
avatar
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Location : guernsey
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Thistle on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 6:35 pm

you wont admit you are wrong eh.i have had enough of your arrogance.you even tell x360 he is wrong and he works in a company that imports goods from all over the world.
avatar
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Location : guernsey
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Troy McClure on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 6:40 pm

No, that is not a quote, that is a report; the difference being those may not be his words; and I'm willing to bet Mr Creasey would agree with what I have been saying throughout this thread, but seeing as we don't have him here in the discussion let's neither of us hang our arguments on what he's reported to have siad... so you go find something else to try and prove your argument, and I'll stick with boring old reliable FACTS which already prove mine.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Location : Jersey
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Thistle on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 6:41 pm

the words say mr creasey explained so his words yes.
avatar
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Location : guernsey
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Troy McClure on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 6:56 pm

Thistle wrote:you wont admit you are wrong eh.i have had enough of your arrogance.you even tell x360 he is wrong and he works in a company that imports goods from all over the world.
I would, but I'm not.

x360 stated I was wrong offering no real argument or counter, when I wasn't. Is it really arrogance to defend my own, correct, statement? If he wants to come back and explain more fully how him paying local US tax on goods exported from the the US proves my statement to be wrong he can and I'll listen.

And I also work for a company that imports and exports internationally, and I work daily with GST and customs, and in previous employment have worked in buying departments and retail management; so what? I don't use my CV to 'prove' I'm right, I just use facts.

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Location : Jersey
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Troy McClure on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 6:58 pm

Thistle wrote:the words say mr creasey explained so his words yes.
Oh well if it's written in the papers....

Troy McClure

Male
Number of posts : 604
Location : Jersey
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: GST could go above 3%, warns Chief Minister

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum