Celebrity R.I.P

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

Re: Celebrity R.I.P

Post by karma on Thu 02 Jul 2009, 9:25 am

R.I.P. Karl Malden - even if, as is so often the case with celebrity status, I never heard of you until you died........

Number of posts : 16109
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sun 19 Jul 2009, 10:03 pm

Henry Surtees, the son of 1964 Formula 1 world champion John Surtees, has died following an accident in a Formula 2 race at Brands Hatch on Sunday.

During the second of the weekend's races, the 18-year-old was struck on the head by a wheel and tyre from the car of Jack Clarke, who had spun into the wall exiting Westfield Bend.

Surtees was knocked unconscious in the accident and his car failed to negotiate the following Sheene Corner, running straight off the track and into the barrier.

Medical crews were swiftly on the scene to extract Surtees from the car, before he was taken to the track's medical centre. He was stabilised at the circuit's facility before being airlifted to the Royal London hospital.

A spokesperson for the hospital this evening confirmed that Surtees had died from his injuries.

Surtees graduated to F2 this season from Formula Renault and had taken his first podium finish in the series with third place in Saturday's race at Brands Hatch.

His step up to the category came after several seasons in karts, which included victory in the Junior Gearbox Championship in 2005, before a graduation to car racing in the Ginetta Junior Championship in 2006.

He switched to single seaters in 2007, taking a race victory in Formula BMW UK for Carlin Motorsport en route to seventh overall in the standings - and second in the rookie cup.

He also made a brief foray into the Formula Renault UK championship that year, contesting the final two rounds at Thruxton as well as the Winter Series.

In 2008 he remained in Formula Renault, taking 12th in the final standings before finishing runner-up in the Winter Series with one victory and three podiums from four races. He also contested last year's British Formula 3 season finale in a National Class car for Carlin, taking one victory and one podium. (from BBC news)

R.I.P...

GD

Number of posts : 10122
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Mon 20 Jul 2009, 7:18 am

RIP Henry...

Dell

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sat 25 Jul 2009, 3:30 pm

The last British survivor of the World War I trenches, Harry Patch, has died at the age of 111.

Mr Patch was conscripted into the Army aged 18 and fought in the Battle of Passchendaele at Ypres in 1917 in which more than 70,000 British soldiers died.

He was raised in Combe Down, near Bath, and had been living at a care home in Wells, Somerset.

The only British survivor of World War I is now Claude Choules, who is aged 108 and lives in Perth, Australia.

'Great man'

Mr Choules, who is originally from Worcestershire, saw service with the Royal Navy.

Henry Allingham, who served in the navy and the RAF in WWI, died at the age of 113 a week ago.

Prince Charles spoke of the terrible conditions faced by soldiers during WWI
Mr Patch's biographer Richard Van Emden said he passed away at 0850 BST on Saturday morning.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said: "I had the honour of meeting Harry, and I share his family's grief at the passing of a great man.

"I know that the whole nation will unite today to honour the memory, and to take pride in the generation that fought the Great War.

"The noblest of all the generations has left us, but they will never be forgotten. We say today with still greater force - 'We will remember them'."

'Remained loyal'

The Prince of Wales said nothing could give him greater pride than paying tribute to Mr Patch.

He told the BBC: "Harry was involved in numerous bouts of heavy fighting on the front line but amazingly remained unscathed for a while.

VERIFIED WWI VETERANS
Claude Choules, 108 - British (lives in Australia)
John Babcock, 109 - Canadian
Frank Buckles, 108 - American
"Tragically one night in September 1917 when in the morass in the Ypres Salient a German shrapnel shell burst overhead badly wounding Harry and killing three of his closest friends.

"In spite of the comparatively short time that he served with the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, Harry always cherished the extraordinary camaraderie that the appalling conditions engendered in the battalion and remained loyal to the end."

Chief of the General Staff, General Sir Richard Dannatt, said: "He was the last of a generation that in youth was steadfast in its duty in the face of cruel sacrifice and we give thanks for his life - as well as those of his comrades - for upholding the same values and freedom that we continue to cherish and fight for today."

'Rewarding people'

Mr Patch was born on 17 June 1898 and left school at the age of 15 to train as a plumber.

He was a machine-gunner in the trenches and served as a private from June to September 1917.

Mr Patch was conscripted into the Army aged 18
Mr Patch was at the time of his death the oldest man in Europe and the third oldest man in the world, according to the Ministry of Defence.

He was married twice, first in 1919 in Hadley, Shropshire, to Ada which lasted 60 years, and then to Jean when he was 81. He had two sons with Ada, Dennis and Roy, both of whom he outlived.

Mr Van Emden said Mr Patch "had a sparkle about him" and was "one of the most rewarding people to be with".

"He was the last of that generation and the poignancy of that is almost overwhelming. He remembered all of those who died and suffered and every time he was honoured he knew it was for all of those who fought," he said.

'True gentleman'

Mr Patch's friend Lesley Ross said she felt great affection towards him.

BATTLE OF PASSCHENDAELE
The battle lasted from 31 July to 6 November 1917
An initial bombardment of German positions involved 4.5m shells and 3,000 guns
The battle was infamous for the mud - shelling had churned clay soil and smashed drains
The heaviest rain for 30 years made the mud so deep that men and horses drowned
The battle ended when British and Canadian forces captured Passchendaele
The village was barely five miles beyond the starting point of the offensive
There were a total of 325,000 Allied and 260,000 German casualties
"Extremely modest, dignified gentleman, with a slightly wicked sense of humour and considerate to everybody he met. Very polite and I would sum him up as a true gentleman," she said.

The Ministry of Defence said there would be a funeral cortege through Wells followed by a service at Wells Cathedral.

The Fletcher House care home said in a statement it extended its deepest sympathies to Mr Patch's family and friends.

Andrew Larpent, chief executive of Somerset Care, said Mr Patch died peacefully in his bed having been unwell for some time.

"His friends and his family have been here. He just quietly slipped away at 9am this morning," he said.

"It was how he would have wanted it, without having to be moved to hospitals but here, peacefully with his friends and carers." (from BBC News)

GD

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Sat 25 Jul 2009, 3:57 pm

R.I.P Harry Patch.

Thistle

Number of posts : 10987
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy on Sat 25 Jul 2009, 4:37 pm

R.I.P.to a great man and true hero Harry Patch
Alpy

Male
Number of posts : 3484
Humor : 'Humor is reason gone mad' G.Marx
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by cockney on Sat 25 Jul 2009, 11:38 pm

Unfortunately the freedom that Harry Patch and his comrades fought for is slowly being eroded as time moves on by, amongst others, an all too vocal minority of the pc brigade.

cockney

Male
Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Sat 25 Jul 2009, 11:40 pm

R.I.P. Harry patch and Humour 😢
Female
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Sun 26 Jul 2009, 9:59 am

R.I.P. Harry Patch.

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male
Humor : Yes please!

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 31 Jul 2009, 11:07 am

Former England manager Sir Bobby Robson has died at the age of 76, following a long battle with cancer.
Robson will be best remembered on the international stage for leading England to the 1990 World Cup semi-final.
At club level, he cut his managerial teeth at Fulham before establishing his credentials at Ipswich where he won the FA Cup and Uefa Cup in a 13-year stay.
Spells at PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona followed before he managed at Newcastle.
Robson made his final public appearance at a charity match at Newcastle's St James' Park on Sunday.
An England side, featuring Alan Shearer and several members of the 1990 World Cup squad including Paul Gascoigne and Peter Shilton, beat a Germany team 3-2 in front of almost 30,000 spectators.
The game was a repeat of the 1990 World Cup semi-final when England, managed by Sir Bobby, lost on penalties. Shearer scored the winner from the penalty spot.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
A statement issued on behalf of his family said: "It is with great sadness that it has been announced today that Sir Bobby Robson has lost his long and courageous battle with cancer.
"He died very peacefully this morning (Friday) at his home in County Durham with his wife and family beside him.
"Sir Bobby's funeral will be private and for family members only.
"A thanksgiving service in celebration of Sir Bobby's life will be held at a later date for his many friends and colleagues.
"Lady Robson and the family would very much appreciate it if their privacy could be respected at this difficult time."
As a player, Robson was a key member of the Fulham and West Brom team during the 1950s and 1960s and also won 20 caps for England.
But it was in management that he made his name. (FROM BBC)

R.I.P.

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy on Fri 31 Jul 2009, 11:35 am

R.I.P. Sir Bobby Robson
Alpy

Male
Number of posts : 3484
Humor : 'Humor is reason gone mad' G.Marx
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Garbo on Fri 31 Jul 2009, 2:30 pm

a lovely lovely man x
Garbo

Female
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Fri 31 Jul 2009, 6:40 pm

R.I.P sir bobby robson xxx
Thistle

Female
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Fri 31 Jul 2009, 6:59 pm

R.I.P. to one of life's Gentlemen
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Tue 04 Aug 2009, 1:02 pm

RIP Benson

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Tue 04 Aug 2009, 9:11 pm

That's all a bit 'fishy' if you ask me......
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Tue 11 Aug 2009, 4:23 pm

eunice kennedy shriver 1921~~~2009 champion of the special olympics R.I.P

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Thu 13 Aug 2009, 5:54 pm

Les Paul, whose pioneering electric guitars were used by a legion of rock stars, has died at the age of 94.

Mr Paul died from complications of pneumonia in New York, according to Gibson, the firm that sold his guitars.

He is credited with inventing the solid-body electric guitar, which went on sale in 1952 and contributed to the birth of rock 'n' roll.

He also developed other influential recording innovations such as multi-track recording and overdubbing.

And he was credited with inventing the eight-track tape recorder.

Great innovator

U2 guitarist The Edge, Jeff Beck, Guns N' Roses star Slash and the Sex Pistols' Steve Jones are among those most closely associated with the Les Paul sound.

Henry Juszkiewicz, chairman of Gibson Guitar, said: "His influence extends around the globe and across every boundary."

Gibson president Dave Berryman said: "As the 'father of the electric guitar', he was not only one of the world's greatest innovators but a legend who created, inspired and contributed to the success of musicians around the world."

Les Paul began as a country and jazz musician before designing his solid-body electric guitar in 1941. (from BBC)

R.I.P. Les.....

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Fri 14 Aug 2009, 10:25 am

R.I.P. Les Paul
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by KiwiG on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 4:48 am

R.I.P.

Patrick Swayze.

You gave a new meaning to moulding clay !!! (Ghost)

57, same age as me..............................................................
KiwiG

Male
Number of posts : 806
Humor : I think............if I don't thwim!!
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 6:06 am

R.I.P PATRICK SWAYZE. you sure put the dirt into dirty dancing.now dancing with the angels,
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 7:37 am

RIP Patrick, may your ghost always "Haunt" us

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 8:20 am

There will a lot of sad people..... Patrick was a lot of young girls heart throb for so many years after Dirty Dancing.

RIP Patrick

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 8:58 am

R.I.P. Patrick - as GD says may your Ghost always haunt us!!!

And there were a lot of 'not so young' ladies who you were a heart throb to as well :) thank you for that...... :Luv 1:
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 9:05 am

Keith Floyd 15-9-09
Heart attack

"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 9:24 am

I loved Patrick Swayze....hmmm mmm mmmm [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

RIP

Keith Floyd ..

RIP

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

~Desire Makes Me Weak~
Sexy Isn't what u wear.... Its How U take it off
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 9:25 am

Hell R.I.P. Keith (was just reading his book in the Mail yesterday - a man who lived life to the full) :Luv 1:
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 4:44 pm

I was also reading his book extract at the weekend and he was on the TV last night on Channel 4!!

RIP Keith, the first of the so called 'celebrity' TV chefs...

Dell

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 7:10 pm

Bit spooky really - the story continues today with not a mention of his demise!!! Just the usual guff at the end stating tomorrow 'The Arrogant BBC - Don't Get Me Started'.....
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Gimp on Wed 16 Sep 2009, 3:48 pm

RIP Patrick Swayze..

at least he had the time of his life..
The Gimp

Male
Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down