Celebrity R.I.P

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

Re: Celebrity R.I.P

Post by GD on Fri 09 Nov 2012, 7:03 pm

Actor Bill Tarmey, who played Jack Duckworth in ITV soap opera Coronation Street, has died.

Tarmey, 71, left the soap in 2010 after more than 30 years in the show.

His family confirmed that he died in Tenerife, Spain, on Friday, and asked for "privacy as they grieve for a wonderful husband, father and brother".

Liz Dawn, who played his on-screen wife Vera Duckworth, said: "You couldn't wish to meet a more lovely man and a true gentleman."

A statement from Coronation Street said the cast, crew and production team were "devastated" to learn of his death.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Bill's wife and soulmate Ali and their family at this very sad time," it said.

Tarmey was married to his childhood sweetheart Alison for 50 years and they had two children.

GD

Number of posts : 10122
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Sat 24 Nov 2012, 8:20 am

RIP Larry Hagman, aka JR

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dell

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:59 am

Its those eyebrows ... RIP

kat

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sun 09 Dec 2012, 1:26 pm

British astronomer and broadcaster Sir Patrick Moore has died at his home at the age of 89, a group of his friends and staff say.

The broadcaster "passed away peacefully at 12.25pm this afternoon", in Selsey, West Sussex, they said in a statement.

It added: "After a short spell in hospital last week, it was determined that no further treatment would benefit him, and it was his wish to spend his last days in his own home, Farthings, where he today passed on, in the company of close friends and carers and his cat Ptolemy."

GD

Back to top Go down

Post by steve177 on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 8:54 pm

Ravi Shankar. Sitar legend and all round cool guy.

steve177

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Tue 25 Dec 2012, 8:12 am

Actor Jack Klugman has died aged 90.

He was best-known for starring in 1970s sitcom The Odd Couple as Oscar Madison and as the protagonist in Quincy, M.E.

Jack's son Adam confirmed that his father passed away on Monday afternoon in Los Angeles.
The star reportedly died peacefully at home with his wife Peggy by his side.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male
Humor : Yes please!

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Wed 26 Dec 2012, 5:59 pm

Gerry Anderson, Thunderbirds creator, dies
13 minutes ago

A look back at the life of the Thunderbirds creator. Footage courtesy Thunderbirds/ITC and Century 21 Television
Gerry Anderson, the creator of hit TV shows including Thunderbirds, Stingray and Joe 90, has died at the age of 83.

He also created Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons and his puppet superheroes fired the imaginations of millions of young viewers in the 1960s and '70s.

Thunderbirds, a science-fiction fantasy about a daring space rescue squad, ran from 1965 and was his most famous show.

Anderson had suffered from Alzheimer's since 2010 and the disease had worsened in recent months, his son Jamie said.

Jamie Anderson announced the news on his website, saying his father had died peacefully in his sleep at noon on Wednesday.

"Gerry was diagnosed with mixed dementia two years ago and his condition worsened quite dramatically over the past six months," he wrote.

"Having already decided with his family on a care home for himself earlier this year, he moved in there in October."

Gerry Anderson talked publicly about the onset of the disease in June 2012.

Speaking on BBC Berkshire he said: "I don't think I realised at all. It was my wife Mary who began to notice that I would do something quite daft like putting the kettle in the sink and waiting for it to boil."

His other creations included UFO, Space: 1999, Supercar and Fireball XL5.

Celebrities paying tribute on Twitter included comedian Eddie Izzard, who wrote: "What great creation Thunderbirds was, as it fuelled the imagination of a generation."

TV presenter Jonathan Ross wrote: "For men of my age, his work made childhood an incredible place to be."

Anderson, who lived in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, began his career studying fibrous plastering, but had to give it up when it gave him dermatitis.

Speaking in January 2011, Gerry Anderson said he felt "humbled" by his success
After a spell in photographic portrait work, a job in Gainsborough films and time spent in air traffic control, he set up AP Films with some friends.

Commissions were few, however, so he responded eagerly to the opportunity to make a puppet series called The Adventures of Twizzle in 1956. It was eight years before Thunderbirds came into being on ITV.

The action was filmed on Slough Trading Estate in Berkshire.

The story revolved around International Rescue, a futuristic emergency service manned by the Tracy family, often assisted by Lady Penelope - voiced by Mrs Anderson - and her butler, Parker.

It included the catchphrase "Thunderbirds are go!"

The show marked the career apex for Gerry and his wife Sylvia, who had honed their "supermarionation" technique on Fireball XL5 and Stingray.

Nick Williams, chairman of Fanderson, the Gerry Anderson appreciation society, described him as "a quiet, unassuming but determined man".

"His desire to make the best films he could drove him and his talented teams to innovate, take risks, and do everything necessary to produce quite inspirational works," he said.

"Gerry's legacy is that he inspired so many people and continues to bring so much joy to so many millions of people around the world."

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
GD

Male
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Fri 28 Dec 2012, 1:24 am

@BBCBreaking: Retired American General Norman #Schwarzkopf, known as "Stormin' Norman" in 1991 Gulf War, has died - US media [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male
Humor : Yes please!

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Mon 14 Jan 2013, 5:59 pm

Tributes have been paid to Lewis Laine, a Guernsey football stalwart, who died on Friday.

The 92-year-old devoted countless hours to St Martin's Athletics Club football side helping with kit, the bar and looking after match officials.

His association with the club started in the 1960s.

Over the weekend, the island's league sides wore black armbands and observed a minute's silence at the start of matches.

In recent years, Mr Laine was recognised as a Guernsey Unsung Hero, area and national FA awards and in 2011 was named in the top six of national FA volunteers.

'True gentleman'

Graham Skuse, former local football official, said "The St Martin's players sing a song 'There's only one Lewis Laine, Lewis is a legend down the lane'.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
Lewis didn't ever play a great deal of football himself, but gave a part of himself to football”
End Quote
Colin Fallaize

Former St Martin's senior coach
"You name a job, he's done it.... no praise is too high."

Garry Cortez, secretary of the island's league management committee, described him as "a true gentleman who will be sorely missed".

He said: "He'd always be around watching football, that was Lewis' life."

Players will continue wearing black armbands at matches until Mr Laine's funeral, which is due to be held on Friday.

Colin Fallaize, previously head coach of St Martin's first team and now assistant coach of Guernsey Football Club, said he was "a major inspiration".

"He found somewhere he could give his time and give it valuably," he said.

"Lewis didn't ever play a great deal of football himself, but gave a part of himself to football.

"He was that sort of heartbeat that makes anywhere you go special, I've got lots of fond thoughts and memories of Lewis and he will be greatly missed.

"They'll be a big gap up at saints for a little while, if not forever."

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:04 pm

Michael Winner, bon viveur, restaurant critic and arguably one of the best known British film-makers of the 20th century has died at the age of 77. "A light has gone out of my life," his wife Geraldine Lynton-Edwards said. "Michael was a wonderful man, brilliant, funny and generous."

Winner had been in ill health for a number of years and almost died after contracting a bacterial infection while holidaying on Barbados in January 2007.

Born to a wealthy family in north London, Winner cut his teeth at the BBC before making his debut as a writer-director with the 1960 crime thriller Shoot to Kill. His freewheeling 1964 sex comedy The System established him as a key chronicler of swinging 60s London and gave rise to a fruitful collaboration with the hell-raising actor Oliver Reed. Winner went on to work with Reed again on The Jokers, I'll Never Forget What's'isname and the 1968 wartime saga Hannibal Brooks.

Yet Winner's greatest success came in the US, when he took the reins of the 1974 vigilante drama Death Wish from original director Sidney Lumet. Death Wish, starring Charles Bronson as a mild-mannered architect turned gun-toting angel of vengeance, bloomed into one of the year's biggest box-office hits and went on to spawn two sequels. Winner's other American films include Lawman, The Mechanic, The Big Sleep and Scorpio. He also worked with a wild-eyed Marlon Brando on The Nightcomers, an overheated prequel to the Henry James story The Turn of the Screw.

During his heyday, Winner took pride in making violent, simple, populist pictures that irked the critics and appeared to relish his role as a man who called the shots. "A team effort is a lot of people doing what I say," he once remarked. His career waned in the 90s and he bowed out with the 1999 hitman caper Parting Shots, a British film that reunited him with his old friend Oliver Reed. In later life he found a fresh lease of life as an outspoken restaurant critic for the Sunday Times. His insurance commercials for British television also established a catchphrase – "Calm down, dear" – that was later adopted by David Cameron.

Winner was reportedly offered an OBE in 2006 but turned it down with a lordly flourish. "An OBE is what you get if you clean the toilets well at King's Cross station," he said.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:04 am

RIP Michael - a one off ...............
Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:55 pm

Actor Richard Briers, best known for his role in TV's The Good Life, has died at the age of 79, his agent has said.

The star, who was also an accomplished stage actor, had been battling a serious lung condition for several years.

Briers died "peacefully" at his London home on Sunday, his agent added.

Briers recently blamed years of smoking for his emphysema.

"It's totally my fault," he said. "So, I get very breathless, which is a pain in the backside. Trying to get upstairs... oh God, it's ridiculous. Of course, when you're bloody nearly 80 it's depressing, because you've had it anyway."

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sun 05 Jan 2014, 12:38 pm

Former Portugal footballer Eusebio, often ranked as one of the best players ever, has died at the age of 71, his former club has confirmed.
The forward was the top scorer in the 1966 World Cup as he guided his team to third place in the tournament.
The 71-year-old reportedly died early on Sunday morning of cardiac failure.
Portuguese state television channel RTP quoted his his biographer, Joao Malheiro, as saying: "Having followed his life close up and on a daily basis, I was a witness to his health having become very fragile and there were clear signs of this in recent years.
"At the moment though this isn't the most important thing, what's most important is to remember the man who was, and always will be, in the place of the imortals of this country and was clearly of emblematic importance for Portuguese in the 20th century, above all during the 1960s when Portugal lived under a dictatorship."

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Thu 04 Dec 2014, 6:07 pm

Tributes have been paid to former Liberal Party leader Jeremy Thorpe who has died aged 85.
Thorpe, who was acquitted of charges of conspiracy to murder former model Norman Scott in 1979, died after a long battle with Parkinson's Disease.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content