Celebrity R.I.P

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Re: Celebrity R.I.P

Post by GD on Sun 04 Dec 2011, 1:59 pm

Sócrates – Sócrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Souza Vieira de Oliveira – who has died of septic shock aged 57, was one of the most unlikely of Brazil's resplendent footballers. Bearded and seemingly indestructible, he stood 1.91m (6ft 3in) tall, once admitting: "I am an anti-athlete. I cannot deny myself certain lapses from the strict regime of a sportsman. You have to take me as I am."

GD

Number of posts : 10122
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:37 pm

Bob Holness, former host of daytime quiz show Blockbusters, has died at 83.

In a statement, his family said he had "died peacefully in his sleep" early on Friday morning.

Holness, who had suffered a series of strokes, had been in a nursing home. He is survived by his wife Mary, three children and seven grandchildren.

GD

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 7:59 pm

Former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Bob Weston found dead Weston's official website said on Friday he was found dead at his home in north London by police on Tuesday

GD

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 4:41 pm

Etta James, whose assertive, earthy voice lit up such hits as "The Wallflower," "Something's Got a Hold on Me" and the wedding favorite "At Last," has died, according to her longtime friend and manager, Lupe De Leon. She was 73.

She died from complications from leukemia with her husband, Artis Mills, and her sons by her side, De Leon said.

She was diagnosed with leukemia in 2010, and also suffered from dementia and hepatitis C. James died at a hospital in Riverside, California. She would have turned 74 Wednesday.

GD

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:49 pm

Actor Colin Tarrant, who was best known for his role as Inspector Andrew Monroe in The Bill, has died, his family have said.

Tarrant, 59, performed in a number of theatre productions since leaving the long-running ITV police drama, which was axed in 2010.

A statement released on behalf of his family said he died at Bristol Royal Infirmary on Thursday.

It added: "Colin was best known as Inspector Andrew Monroe in the television series The Bill, a part he played very happily for many years.

"Since leaving the series he has triumphed on stage as Brian Clough in The Spirit Of The Man and had recently played John in the enormously successful stage production of Calendar Girls, and to which he would have returned this autumn."

The West End theatre producer David Pugh added: "Colin was a lovely man. He loved the theatre, his politics and his family. Our hearts must go out to his son Juma, his partner Sabrina and their baby son Louis."

The Bill, set in the fictional London area of Sun Hill, ran for 26 years and 2,400 episodes.

GD

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:08 am

BREAKING: Publicist Kristen Foster says singer Whitney Houston has died at age 48

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
GD

Male
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Sun 12 Feb 2012, 7:02 am

American singer and actress Whitney Houston has died in Los Angeles at the age of 48.

Police said she died in her room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, where she had been staying as a guest.

Houston was one of the most celebrated female singers of all time, with hits including I Will Always Love You and Saving All My Love For You.

But her later career was overshadowed by substance abuse and her turbulent marriage to singer Bobby Brown.

Police spokesman Mark Rosen told reporters Houston was pronounced dead at 15:55 pm (23:55 GMT) in her room on the fourth floor of the Beverly Hilton Hotel.

Fire department personnel and members of hotel security were attempting to resuscitate her when police arrived at the scene, he said, but their efforts were unsuccessful.

"She has been positively identified by friends and family that were with her at the hotel, and next of kin have already been notified," he added.

The cause of her death remains unclear but Mr Rosen said there were "no obvious signs of criminal intent".

'Finest voice'

Houston's background was steeped in soul and gospel music.

Her mother was gospel singer Cissy Houston, she was cousin to singer Dionne Warwick and goddaughter to Aretha Franklin.

"I just can't talk about it now," Ms Franklin said in a short statement. "It's so stunning and unbelievable. I couldn't believe what I was reading coming across the TV screen."

Having grown up in New Jersey, Houston began singing in church and then in the night clubs of New York, and was a model before being signed by Arista Records.

At the height of her career in the 1980s and 90s she won many awards and enjoyed several number one singles and albums.

Artists from Mariah Carey to Christina Aguilera have tried to emulate her bravura performances, but none of them were as good as the original, music critic Paul Gambaccini told the BBC.

Houston also enjoyed success acting in blockbuster films such as The Bodyguard and Waiting to Exhale.

In recent years drug use took its toll on the star and her voice - once acknowledged as one of the finest in pop music - was badly damaged.

"She did have it all, but the record is there of the decline into drug use and the damage done from drug use," said Gambaccini.

Her marriage to Brown, with whom she had a daughter, Bobbi Kristina, ended in divorce in 2007. The marriage had been a tempestuous one, with allegations of domestic abuse.

"The biggest devil is me. I'm either my best friend or my worst enemy,'' Houston told ABC's Diane Sawyer in a 2002 interview.

Correspondents say Houston's death will undoubtedly overshadow the music industry's Grammy Awards, due to be held in Los Angeles on Sunday.

She had been expected to attend the ceremony and her close friend and long-time mentor Clive Davis had recently hinted she might perform.

"It's her favourite night of the year ... who knows by the end of the evening," he had told AP.

Civil rights activist Rev Al Sharpton said that on the morning of the Grammys, "the world should pause and pray for the memory of a gifted songbird".

Country singer Dolly Parton - who wrote one one of her most memorable hits, I Will Always Love You - said in a statement: "Mine is only one of the millions of hearts broken over the death of Whitney Houston."

"I will always be grateful and in awe of the wonderful performance she did on my song, and I can truly say from the bottom of my heart, 'Whitney, I will always love you. You will be missed'."

BBC 2012

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Sun 12 Feb 2012, 7:22 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Sun 12 Feb 2012, 9:41 am

R.I.P.WHITNEY. X
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Sun 12 Feb 2012, 11:46 am

RIP Whitney - you gave a lot of people pleasure with your fantastic voice - hope you're free of your demons now !!

Last edited by karma on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by cockney on Sun 12 Feb 2012, 10:01 pm

Very sad. Unfortunately there are still people who think that drug use should be made legal.

cockney

Male
Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 10:05 am

Why all this fuss about yet another pop junkie meeting their only too predictable end ?

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Tue 14 Feb 2012, 6:14 pm

junkie or not kingcole whitney houston was a brilliant singer..
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk on Tue 14 Feb 2012, 7:12 pm

You have the advantage on me there Thistle. My hearing deficiency does not allow me to be a judge of her singing, so I take your word for that. But it still does not excuse drug abuse, just makes it even less understandable that she should waste her talent.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Tue 14 Feb 2012, 9:47 pm

Surely the 'milk of human kindness' comes into the equation - she was a human being with all the frailties of that 'condition' just because most of us do not succumb to drugs in no way makes us superior - and she paid the ultimate price!!! - Unlike terrorists etc - I do not remember reading about her maiming and killing other people - she was like a lot of other 'humans' - namely her own worst enemy!!!! who gave a lot of people pleasure along the way - RIP Whitney!!
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:29 pm

The Comedian Frank Carson has died, his spokesman Ashley Yeates has said.

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:29 pm

R.I.P. Frank - A very funny man
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 7:38 am

RIP Frank Carson - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dell

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 10:45 am

Thanks for the link Dell - he was a favourite of mine (and the fact that he never ever had to rely on bad language puts him up there with all the other greats of yesteryear) :-))))
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Wed 29 Feb 2012, 6:25 pm

Davy Jones, lead singer of The Monkees, has died aged 66

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:47 pm

Such a shame ..he was my love one for so many years
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 09 Mar 2012, 5:16 pm

American singer Jimmy Ellis, who sang on the classic hit Disco Inferno, has died at the age of 74.

Disco Inferno, which featured the catchy lyrical hook "burn, baby, burn", was a 1976 Grammy award-winning hit for The Trammps - founded in Philadelphia by Ellis and his friends.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:24 pm

Jocky Wilson, former darts champion, dies at 62

Wilson won world titles in 1982 and 1989 and was a four-time British champion and three-time Scottish Masters champion

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 4:16 pm

Poor bloke ended up living in a one bedroom council flat on benifits, with severe health problems. That's what excessive drinking and smoking does.

This is the kind of situation that the minimum drink pricing is attempting prevent. Whether it will work or not remains to be seen.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 8:26 am

he had COPD which is not drink related.
R.I.P jocky
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 9:25 am

It is smoking related.

kingcolemk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 12:01 pm

So if we don't smoke or drink we will live forever ????? when I was young, all adverts told us how glamorous it was to smoke (remember Audrey Hepburn's loooooooong cigarette holder?) and drink (remember BabyCham and the cute little Bambi???)....my darling cousin died last year of Liver Cancer and she never drank alcohol and certainly didn't smoke..........answers please!!!!
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by trucker on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 12:56 pm

poor guy know how he must have felt. i have been diagnosed with COPD smoking is a big cause and i know i am partly to blame. Although i stopped in 2006 i have still developed this crippling condition. i guees working in a road making squad didn't help either. Fumes from up to 500 tons of tar a day. certainly no help.
trucker

Male
Number of posts : 79
Job/hobbies : Retired road and buiding site worker
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:48 pm

Yes, some jobs do not help at all - I worked in the so called hospitality trade for years and sometimes in the restaurants and bars you could not see across the room for the amount of smoked filling it - so I smoked whether I wanted to or not.....and I should think Jocky Wilson got his fill of other people's smoke as well as his own........R.I.P.
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 06 Apr 2012, 2:03 pm

Jim Marshall, who created the famous ‘Marshall’ amps, has died aged 88. Fair to say his amps revolutionised rock and roll.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content