Celebrity R.I.P

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Re: Celebrity R.I.P

Post by Thistle on Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:06 pm

Robert Robinson, the veteran broadcaster and presenter, has died at the age of 83.

In a career spanning five decades, he presented a wealth of radio and television programmes for the BBC.

They included Ask the Family, Stop the Week and Call My Bluff. Mr Robinson also had a stint presenting Radio 4's Today programme.

He died in St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, after a long period of ill health.

His daughter, Susie Robinson, said: "He had a very long, productive and successful life and we'll all miss him terribly."

Thistle

Number of posts : 10987
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 7:47 pm

It is with sadness that the MOD must confirm the death of Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging of the RAF Aerobatics Team (The Red Arrows). R.I.P.

GD

Number of posts : 10122
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:24 pm

The opera world was on Tuesday mourning the premature death of an Italian tenor regarded by many as the heir to Luciano Pavarotti.

The announcement that Salvatore Licitra had died came nine days after the 43-year-old suffered severe head and chest injuries after a scooter accident in Sicily. As is common in southern Italy, he was not wearing a helmet.

GD

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Mon 12 Sep 2011, 5:13 pm

Andy Whitfield, the British star of US TV drama Spartacus: Blood and Sand, has died at the age of 39.

Whitfield died on Sunday in Sydney, Australia, 18 months after being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, his family and manager said.

His wife, Vashti, described him as "our beautiful young warrior".

Whitfield was born in North Wales and moved to Australia in 1999. Actor Liam McIntyre took over Whitfield's role in the TV series when he became ill.

"On a beautiful sunny Sydney spring morning, surrounded by his family, in the arms of his loving wife, our beautiful young warrior Andy Whitfield lost his 18-month battle with lymphoma cancer," his wife said in a statement.

'Courage and strength'

"He passed peacefully surrounded by love. Thank you to all his fans whose love and support have helped carry him to this point. He will be remembered as the inspiring, courageous and gentle man, father and husband he was."

Chris Albrecht, president and chief operating officer of US TV network Starz, said he was "deeply saddened" by Whitfield's loss.

"We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in Spartacus and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life," Albrecht said in a statement.

"Andy was an inspiration to all of us as he faced this very personal battle with courage, strength and grace," he added.

Whitfield played the title role in all 13 episodes of the first series, screened in 2010, and was about to shoot the second series when he was diagnosed with cancer.

Spartacus, which attracted media attention in the US for its graphic scenes of sex and violence, was first seen in the UK on the now defunct Bravo channel before moving to Sky One.

In an interview with the Deadline Hollywood website last year, Whitfield said having cancer had taught him some important lessons.

"After the initial shock - I was a healthy young man and had no idea this could happen - it was frustrating that the first season was ending on such a high note."

But he added he then found "time to heal, figure things out and spend time with my family. Stay in the now and enjoy every moment."

Whitfield's Spartacus co-star Lucy Lawless also paid tribute to the actor in a statement to EW:

"Andy Whitfield left an indelible mark on all of us in the Spartacus family," she said. "He was a gentle man who never said a bad word about anyone, a gifted photographer, engineer (no really!) and a brilliant actor.

"How lucky we were to have him grace all our lives. Godspeed, Andy!"

GD

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:31 pm

David Croft, the TV comedy writer and producer responsible for BBC sitcoms including Dad's Army, It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Hi-de-Hi, 'Allo 'Allo and Are You Being Served?, has died aged 89.

Croft died "peacefully in his sleep" at home in Portugal on Tuesday, his family announced on his website.

"He was a truly great man, who will be missed by all who had the great fortune of knowing and loving him," they said in a statement.

"We know that he would have been proud that you had all been watching."

Croft's long-running partnership with Jimmy Perry spawned Dad's Army, arguably the most successful British sitcom of all time. Originally aired between 1968 and 1977, it remains one of BBC2's most popular shows even today.

The duo also wrote It Ain't Half Hot Mum – which they considered the funniest of all their collaborations – Hi-de-Hi! and You Rang M'Lord.

Croft also wrote Are You Being Served? and 'Allo 'Allo with Jeremy Lloyd, and later teamed up with Richard Spendlove to write Oh Doctor Beeching!

Croft, who graduated from Sandhurst, rose through the army ranks to major, and served in North Africa, India and Singapore.

His experiences in the armed forces provided much of the material for Dad's Army and It Ain't Half Hot Mum. (guardian)

GD

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:37 pm

R.I.P You gave a lot of people a lot of pleasure :-))
Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:52 am

Steve Jobs, founder of Apple 05/10/11

"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 7:28 am

RIP Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

What a remarkable visionary man! Will Apple continue without him?

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpy on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 1:42 pm

RIP Steve Jobs....................................
Alpy

Male
Number of posts : 3484
Humor : 'Humor is reason gone mad' G.Marx
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by cockney on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:34 pm

Graham Dilley, great England/Worcestershire bowler. Just 52 years old, very sad. RIP. Remember the 1981 ashes series anyone?

cockney

Male
Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sat 08 Oct 2011, 3:42 pm

Actor George Baker, who played Chief Inspector Wexford in television series The Ruth Rendell Mysteries, has died at the age of 80.

The star, from West Lavington, Wiltshire, died of pneumonia following a recent stroke, his daughter Ellie Baker said.

Speaking of her father, shesaid: "He absolutely loved Wexford and he loved being Wexford ... he loved the whole thing. It was a joy to him."

Over a career spanning six decades, the versatile actor starred in countless TV shows including Minder, Bergerac, I, Claudius and more recently New Tricks and Spooks.

He also appeared in around 30 films including The Dam Busters, The Spy Who Loved Me, The Ship That Died of Shame and The 39 Steps. He also formed his own theatre company.

But it is his role as Wexford in the ITV adaptation of Ruth Rendell's books, which ran for 13 years, for which he became best known.

Baker, who was married three times and leaves five daughters, was also a talented writer, penning a cookery book as well as award-winning pieces for radio and television.

His third wife Louie Ramsay died earlier this year. She played his wife Dora in The Ruth Rendell Mysteries.

Baker was awarded an MBE in 2007 for his fundraising activities for his local youth club in West Lavington.

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
GD

Male
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 12:11 pm

Coronation Street actress Betty Driver has died at the age of 91, a spokesman says.

Driver joined the ITV soap in 1969 as barmaid Betty Turpin - later Williams.

She was employed on a three-month contract but stayed for 42 years. "I thought, why not," Driver recalled. "It'll make a break for a while."

She had already been in showbusiness for more than 40 years, touring the UK as a singer by the age of 12. Driver was appointed an MBE in 1999.

In January 2011 she told the BBC she would never retire. "I just love working and I will never retire - ever - they'll have to shoot me to get rid of me," she said. "I just love people, you see, and I love the cast."

ITV said Driver "died peacefully in hospital" early on Saturday morning. She had been in hospital for six weeks.

"She will be sadly missed by everyone who knew her," the spokesman said.

'Foundation' of Rovers

Fellow Coronation Street barmaid Julie Goodyear - character Bet Lynch - said Driver was "the very foundation of the Rovers Return".

"It was an honour and a privilege to work with Betty Driver for 25 years. We laughed together, we cried together and never once had a cross word. She was a totally professional actress. A true icon and legend and a very dear friend," she said.

"She will be missed and remembered by millions."

Barbara Knox, who plays Rita Sullivan in the soap, said: "I have lost a very dear friend and the Street has lost a very great character, a professional to her fingertips - she will be greatly missed."

Driver had a seven-year marriage to singer Wally Peterson, which ended in her late 30s.
(from BBC)

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 12:39 pm

RIP Betty .i hope they write you out of corrie in a very respectful way .
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Mon 17 Oct 2011, 6:00 pm

British IndyCar driver Dan Wheldon has died following a massive accident at the Las Vegas Indy 300.

The Buckinghamshire-born star, 33, was one of 15 drivers involved in a crash at the second corner on lap 11 of the season-ending race.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 10:33 am

Marco Simoncelli has died after a horrific crash at the Malaysian MotoGP in Sepang, says BBC.

The Malaysian MotoGP was halted four minutes after the race began Sunday when Honda rider Simoncelli fell and was hit by Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi.

The 24-year-old Simoncelli had his helmet knocked off in the accident, which occurred when the Italian lowsided from his bike at Turn 11.

His bike veered across the track and straight into the path of Edwards and Rossi. The race was immediately red-flagged.

Simoncelli, who was motionless on the track after the impact, had been fourth at the end of lap one.

Edwards also fell but escaped serious injury, while Rossi, on a Ducati, was able to return to the pits.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sat 29 Oct 2011, 5:48 pm

Radio DJ and TV personality Sir Jimmy Savile, who has died aged 84, was one of broadcasting's most colourful characters

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Sat 29 Oct 2011, 7:30 pm

RIP Sir Jimmy.... an absolute legend of his time!

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Sat 29 Oct 2011, 10:15 pm

R.I.P. Jimmy
Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 6:30 pm

Former world heavyweight boxing champion Joe Frazier has died after a brief battle with liver cancer, his family said.

Frazier - also known as Smokin' Joe - had been receiving hospice care in Philadelphia after being diagnosed with cancer several weeks ago.

The 67-year-old was the first man to beat Muhammad Ali in 1971, but lost his next two bouts with Ali.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sat 19 Nov 2011, 11:42 am

Former England all-rounder Basil D'Oliveira has died at the age of 80.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sun 27 Nov 2011, 1:43 pm

RIP Gary Speed shocked and saddened by the news

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk on Sun 27 Nov 2011, 3:06 pm

Suicide ! Why ?

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Sun 27 Nov 2011, 6:31 pm

sadly the only person to know why is the deceased x
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by cockney on Sun 27 Nov 2011, 11:00 pm

Tragic.

cockney

Male
Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Mon 28 Nov 2011, 9:19 pm

Ken Russell, the veteran director of Women in Love, The Devils and Tommy, has died at the age of 84

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sun 04 Dec 2011, 1:59 pm

Sócrates – Sócrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Souza Vieira de Oliveira – who has died of septic shock aged 57, was one of the most unlikely of Brazil's resplendent footballers. Bearded and seemingly indestructible, he stood 1.91m (6ft 3in) tall, once admitting: "I am an anti-athlete. I cannot deny myself certain lapses from the strict regime of a sportsman. You have to take me as I am."

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:37 pm

Bob Holness, former host of daytime quiz show Blockbusters, has died at 83.

In a statement, his family said he had "died peacefully in his sleep" early on Friday morning.

Holness, who had suffered a series of strokes, had been in a nursing home. He is survived by his wife Mary, three children and seven grandchildren.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 7:59 pm

Former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Bob Weston found dead Weston's official website said on Friday he was found dead at his home in north London by police on Tuesday

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 4:41 pm

Etta James, whose assertive, earthy voice lit up such hits as "The Wallflower," "Something's Got a Hold on Me" and the wedding favorite "At Last," has died, according to her longtime friend and manager, Lupe De Leon. She was 73.

She died from complications from leukemia with her husband, Artis Mills, and her sons by her side, De Leon said.

She was diagnosed with leukemia in 2010, and also suffered from dementia and hepatitis C. James died at a hospital in Riverside, California. She would have turned 74 Wednesday.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:49 pm

Actor Colin Tarrant, who was best known for his role as Inspector Andrew Monroe in The Bill, has died, his family have said.

Tarrant, 59, performed in a number of theatre productions since leaving the long-running ITV police drama, which was axed in 2010.

A statement released on behalf of his family said he died at Bristol Royal Infirmary on Thursday.

It added: "Colin was best known as Inspector Andrew Monroe in the television series The Bill, a part he played very happily for many years.

"Since leaving the series he has triumphed on stage as Brian Clough in The Spirit Of The Man and had recently played John in the enormously successful stage production of Calendar Girls, and to which he would have returned this autumn."

The West End theatre producer David Pugh added: "Colin was a lovely man. He loved the theatre, his politics and his family. Our hearts must go out to his son Juma, his partner Sabrina and their baby son Louis."

The Bill, set in the fictional London area of Sun Hill, ran for 26 years and 2,400 episodes.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content