Post by Garbo on Fri 15 Jan 2010, 1:09 pm

had one of the best voices ever .....

Garbo

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Celebrity R.I.P

Post by GD on Tue 19 Jan 2010, 5:58 pm

Commentator Bill McLaren, known popularly as the "voice of rugby", has died at the age of 86.
Mr McLaren, from Hawick, retired in 2002 and was appointed OBE, CBE and MBE for services to the sport.
He began commentating on BBC radio in 1953 and moved on to television six years later.
He went on to earn the respect of players, fans, and spectators by being the best-researched commentator rugby had ever seen.
He died at 1030 GMT in the community hospital in Hawick in the Scottish Borders.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Former Scotland rugby captain Gavin Hastings, who worked with him, said: "First and foremost, Bill was a very proud and passionate Scot but such was his professionalism that you would never really have known that.
"He always remained very unbiased in his commentary and I think that that was unquestionably one of his endearing qualities.
"He was a wonderful commentator and he just brought the world of rugby into so many people's homes."
Former England captain Bill Beaumont also recognised the importance of McLaren's contribution to the sport.
"Bill McLaren is synonymous with what is good about the game," he said.
"Every player respected Bill, they respected his judgement.
"To sit alongside him you just admired the professionalism and homework that he put into his commentaries and also his passion for the game."
Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond said: "The world of sport and broadcasting has lost a true legend with the passing of Bill McLaren.
"He thoroughly deserved the title "voice of rugby" and was a fantastic ambassador for Scotland and his native Hawick right around the world."
BBC Scotland Director Ken MacQuarrie described McLaren as one of the "true broadcasting greats".
'Loyal friend'
He said: "A tremendously modest man, Bill was the ultimate professional who always went out of his way to help the many colleagues who worked alongside him over the years.
"He also worked tirelessly to support youngsters keen to learn more about the game he loved, especially in his home town.

"To those who knew him closest though, Bill was known as a wonderfully loyal friend and a devoted family man and our thoughts are with them at this time."
Hawick Rugby Club secretary John Thorburn also joined the tributes to their former player and loyal supporter.
He said: "We're devastated, obviously - we've got a room named after him at the rugby club.
"It was very close to his heart, Hawick Rugby Club.
"He's a huge loss to rugby worldwide (from BBC)

GD

Number of posts : 10122
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy T on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 3:04 pm

Kate McGarrigle, a Canadian singer who, with her sister Anna,
captivated critics and fellow musicians with warm harmonies and a style
that drew on both folk traditions and the personalized approach of
1970s singer-songwriters, died on Monday at her home in Montreal. She
was 63.

Andy T

Number of posts : 2275
Registration date : 2008-03-11

http://www.myspace.com/andytowellofficial

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sat 23 Jan 2010, 11:55 am

Jean Simmons has died after losing her battle with lung cancer at the age of 80.
The Emmy Award winning British actress, who was recognised for her role in the 1980s drama The Thorn Birds, passed away at her home in Santa Monica on Friday, her agent told the LA Times.
Simmons moved from the UK to Hollywood in the 1950s and won roles playing Estella in Great Expectations, Ophelia in Laurence Olivier's Hamlet and sang with Marlon Brando in Guys And Dolls.
Other Hollywood greats that she starred alongside included Gregory Peck, Paul Newman and Kirk Douglas.
The Hollywood leading lady was Oscar-nominated for both her role in Hamlet and for her part in the 1969 movie The Happy Ending.

GD

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Sat 23 Jan 2010, 12:34 pm

R.I.P. Jean - you were a lady and an entertainer.....
Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sat 06 Feb 2010, 3:06 pm

Veteran British actor Ian Carmichael has died at the age of 89, his wife has said.
The star of film and TV from the 1950s to the 1970s fell ill over Christmas and New Year, she added.
He died peacefully on Friday at his home in the Esk Valley on the North York Moors.
He made his name in films for the Boulting Brothers including Private's Progress (1956), Brothers in Law (1957) and I'm All Right Jack (1959).
During the 1960s and 1970s, he was successful in parts where he was cast as a loveable buffoon.
On television, his role as Bertie Wooster in BBC drama series The World of Wooster was particularly popular with audiences.
This was followed by another well-watched role as Lord Peter Wimsey in several of the BBC drama series based on the mystery novels by Dorothy L Sayers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Ian Carmichael was awarded an OBE in 2003

In more recent times the actor had parts in the BBC serial Wives and Daughters in 1999 and was in The Royal on ITV as recently as last year.
Former sports commentator Neil Durden-Smith, who knew Carmichael well through their work for the Lord's Taverners cricket-based charity, paid tribute to the actor.
"When I became a trustee in 1976 he had been chairman for two years. He was a marvellous chairman, very caring, hard working, very responsible.
"It's quite unusual for a full-time working actor to be chairman of a pretty big charity."
Asked what made Carmichael popular on screen, Mr Durden-Smith, 76, said: "He had a twinkle in his eye, a wonderful sense of humour, he was marvellously foppish in a theatrical way. You used to wonder what he would say next.
"He had that love of life and love of people; he gathered people around him like other people gather butterflies or postage stamps."
Carmichael was appointed an OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List in 2003.
In 1979, Carmichael wrote an autobiography, Will The Real Ian Carmichael ....
Novelist Kate Fenton, 55, is his second wife. His first wife Pym died in 1983.
He also leaves two daughters, five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. (from BBC)

R.I.P.

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sun 07 Feb 2010, 1:03 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Sir John appeared on BBC One's Andrew Marr Show in 2008

Sir John Dankworth, a mainstay of the British jazz scene for over 60 years, has died, his management has said.
Saxophonist Sir John, who was 82, wrote the theme tune for The Avengers and served as musical director to the likes of Nat King Cole and Ella Fitzgerald.
Dankworth Management's Becky Stevenson said he had died on Saturday at King Edward VII Hospital, London.
Sir John, who was knighted at Buckingham Palace in 2006, was married to the singer Dame Cleo Laine.
The couple met in 1950 while he was auditioning for singers with his band, the Dankworth Seven.
He also leaves a son and a daughter, both jazz musicians.
In 1993 Sir John formed the Dankworth Generation Band, with his son Alec.
Charity founder
After winning a place at the Royal Academy of Music aged 17, and following a short spell in the Army, the young Sir John was voted British Musician of the Year in 1949.
The same year he attended the Paris Jazz Festival, where he played with the legendary Charlie Parker.
In the 1960s, Sir John scored such films as Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, The Servant and Modesty Blaise.
Sir John and Dame Cleo founded their charity, the Wavendon Allmusic Plan, in 1969, which led to the establishment of the Stables arts centre in the grounds of their Buckinghamshire home.
He was appointed CBE in 1974 and founded the London Symphony Orchestra Summer Pops in 1985.
Sir John was a fellow of the Royal Academy of Music and received the Freedom of the City of London in 1994

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Sun 07 Feb 2010, 7:40 am

Rest in Peace Ian and Johnny two great entertainers
Female
Number of posts : 16109
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk on Sun 07 Feb 2010, 9:57 am

John and Cleo live near me and I have met them many times. He was a smashing bloke with none of the ' Do you know who I am' nonsense about him whatsoever.

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Wed 10 Feb 2010, 8:47 pm

Discovery Channel, Getty Images

Phil Harris, the fishing boat captain on Discovery Channel's Deadliest Catch, has died.
Harris suffered a stroke in late January while off-loading his boat the Cornelia Marie in port at St. Paul Island, AK. He passed away late on Tuesday.
"Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end," his sons Josh and Jake Harris, who were deckhands on the boat, said in a statement. "For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate that strength."
Harris was known for being an extremely vocal fisherman on the series, which began in 2005 and chronicled crab fishing off the coast of Alaska - said to be one of the most dangerous professions in the world.
"He was more than someone on our television screen. Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humour and enormous heart," the Discovery Channel said.
It added: "We share our tremendous sadness over this loss with the millions of viewers who followed Phil's every move."

Great bloke will be missed R.I.P. Phil

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Thu 11 Feb 2010, 8:32 pm

Rex Features

Celebrities have paid tribute to fashion designer Alexander McQueen.
The 40-year-old was found dead in his home today after reportedly committing suicide.
In a statement, Victoria Beckham said that the fashion industry has lost a "true great" and added: "An icon of all time. He made all he touched beautiful and will be desperately missed. My heart is very much with his family and friends at this very sad time."
Boy George wrote on his Twitter page that McQueen had been a "genius", while model Tyra Banks described the news as a "huge loss".
Estelle branded the designer a "truly creative genius" and Kelly Osbourne commented: "I am so, so sad to hear the news of Lee McQueen! I really just don't know what to say. I'm really in shock. I can't stop thinking about Lee. I am just devastated."
Meanwhile, Cheryl Cole said that the fashion world has lost "one of its most talented and inspirational figures" and Kelis remarked: "His work was beautiful and will remain immortal."
Designers also lined up to pay tribute to the star, with Katherine Hamnet calling his death a "terrible, tragic waste" while Paul Smith described him as "very talented and creative".
Karl Lagerfeld added that McQueen's work was "very interesting", and Matthew Williamson revealed that he was "shocked and deeply saddened" by the news.
He continued: "Like many others, I always cited him as a hugely inspirational leader of world fashion. He will be greatly missed."

R.I.P Alexander...

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sun 14 Feb 2010, 5:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Francis wrote all of his novels in longhand

Writer Dick Francis, famous for his horse racing-based crime novels, has died aged 89, his family has said.
Francis, who wrote some 40 best-selling novels during his career, was also a champion jockey in the 1940s and 50s and the Queen Mother's jockey.
He first published his autobiography in 1957, and his first thriller, Dead Cert, followed five years later.
Francis's most recent works, including Dead Heat and Silks, were co-authored by his son Felix.
Literary accolades
Mr Francis said he was "devastated" at the loss of his father, who produced a novel a year during his long career.
"We share in the joy that he brought to so many over such a long life. It is an honour for me to be able to continue his remarkable legacy through the new novels," he added.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said the Queen would be "saddened" by the news.
Francis went on to sell some 60 million books worldwide and his novels were published into 20 languages.

Looking back at the life of Dick Francis

His works were also regularly featured in volumes of Reader's Digest condensed books.
They were all written in the first person and were meticulously researched and written in longhand.
Francis went on to win numerous accolades for popular fiction in his genre, including Crime Writer's Association lifetime achievement award in 1996.
He was awarded a CBE in 2000 for services to literature.
During his racing career, Francis's most famous moment was when his horse, Devon Loch, fell when he was close to winning to 1956 Grand National.
In 2006, Francis said of the famous incident: "It was a terrible thing but I look back on it now and I can say that if it hadn't happened I might never have written a book, and my books have certainly helped keep the wolf from the door."
After he retired from the saddle, Francis was the Sunday Express racing correspondent for 16 years.
He spent his final years in retirement in the Cayman Islands and his family said he "died of old age".
A private funeral is due to be held in the Caribbean with a memorial service in London at a later stage, a spokesman added.
The next novel co-written with his son is due to be published in the autumn. (from BBC)

R.I.P.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Mon 15 Feb 2010, 8:20 pm

Rex Features

Guyanese actor, singer and writer Cy Grant has passed away, aged 90.
Grant, widely known for his stint on the BBC's Tonight Show, died in London on Saturday, his daughter Diana confirmed to WENN. No further details surrounding his death were released.
The star recorded five albums over the course of his professional career, including the singles 'King Cricket' and 'The Constantine Calypso'.
He also embarked on an acting career that included a starring role in award-winning TV drama Home Of The Brave in 1957 and The Encyclopaedist in 1961, going on to become the first black person to regularly feature on British TV screens.
Grant later founded the Drum Arts Centre in London to promote future black artistic talent.
He is survived by his wife Dorith and four children.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 19 Feb 2010, 7:41 am

Kathryn Grayson, the star of numerous 1940s and 1950s MGM musicals, has died at the age of 88.
According to Reuters, she passed away in her sleep at her Los Angeles home on Wednesday.
Grayson starred in the musicals Anchors Aweigh, Show Boat and Kiss Me Kate.
"She was a lady of class and quality, with the greatest sense of humour conceivable," said Sally Sherman, who had worked with Grayson for 31 years.
Later in her career, the actress and singer switched from films to stage opera singing. She performed in Carnegie Hall, and in 1962 she replaced Julie Andrews in the Broadway production of Camelot. Grayson won critical acclaim for her performance in the hit touring stage show.(from BBC)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 23 Feb 2010, 7:41 am

Actress Caroline McWilliams has reportedly died, aged 64.
McWilliams, best known for her roles on comedies Benson and Soap, passed away at her home in Los Angeles from complications of multiple myeloma on February 11, reports the Los Angeles Times.
The actress started her career on the soap opera Guiding Light in 1969. She moved to primetime in 1978 as Sally on Soap. She also appeared on Beverly Hills, 90210 in 1994.
McWilliams married Michael Keaton in 1982 and the couple had one son, Sean Douglas. The pair divorced in 1990.
She also appeared in a number of stage productions and films, including Mermaids.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Mon 01 Mar 2010, 10:22 pm

Kristian Digby was born on June 24, 1977 into a family of property developers.
He started his career as a director, becoming the youngest ever recipient of a junior BAFTA in 1997 for his short film Words Of Deception and collecting the 'Best Student Film' prize at the 1998 Melbourne Film Festival for Last Train To Demise.
He then turned his hand to directing for TV, helming episodes of programmes including Changing Rooms, Home Front and The O-Zone.
He proceeded to launch a career in front of the camera on ITV's Nightlife, before going on to present numerous BBC daytime shows including Open House, Trading Up and Buy It, Sell It, Bank It.
However, he is probably best known for his work on BBC Choice's That Gay Show and helming nine series of property reality show To Buy Or Not To Buy since 2003.
Alongside his TV work, Digby followed in his family's footsteps by becoming an avid property developer.
He was reportedly found dead on March 1, 2010 at his home in Stratford, East London. Police are said to be treating his death as "unexplained".

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nan on Mon 01 Mar 2010, 11:37 pm

Will miss him on the property programmes..always a good sense
0f humour..R i p Christian..
nan

Female
Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2010-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Tue 02 Mar 2010, 7:46 am

so sad.R.I.P. Kristian
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Wed 03 Mar 2010, 4:56 pm

Former Labour Party leader Michael Foot has died, aged 96.
Mr Foot was elected Labour leader in 1980, succeeding Jim Callaghan, but stood down after a heavy defeat in the 1983 election to Margaret Thatcher.
Mr Foot, who was also a prolific writer, was first elected to Parliament in 1945 and was an MP for 42 years.
Prime Minister and Labour leader Gordon Brown led the tributes, describing Mr Foot as a "man of deep principle and passionate idealism".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]CORRESPONDENT'S VIEW
Mike Sergeant, Political Correspondent
Michael Foot is being remembered by politicians at Westminster with great affection. No doubt, he was one of the finest parliamentarians of his day. A spellbinding orator, the former Labour leader enthralled the Commons and captured audiences far beyond.
He wasn't made for slick sound-bites or 24-hour news. He was never known for sartorial elegance. Michael Foot was a politician from a different age. But, those who knew him best describe a man of integrity and honesty - a deep thinker and an idealist from a time when politicians could be heroes.
Michael Foot made a promise never to take a seat in the Lords - a promise he kept. "Straight as a die" was how one MP described him today. He was a man of conviction whose career spanned a time of enormous change in Britain and the world.
His period as Labour leader coincided with one of the most turbulent periods in the party's history.
Some will credit him with stopping Labour's complete disintegration as the "gang of four" broke away to form the SDP. Others will highlight his role in Labour's disastrous election campaign of 1983.
Ultimate political success would elude Michael Foot. He stood up for what he believed in, even if it made him unpopular. But, across the political spectrum, MPs are today paying warm tribute to one of the greats.

Mr Foot died shortly before 0700 GMT at his home in Hampstead, north London. He had been ill for some time with fading health and had been receiving 24-hour care.
A lifelong peace campaigner and left wing rebel, Mr Foot led the Labour Party during one of the most turbulent periods in its history - with senior figures on the right breaking away to form their own party, the SDP.
He was forced to quit as leader after just three years when Labour suffered its heaviest election defeat in 50 years, with a left wing manifesto dubbed "the longest suicide note in history".
But he is remembered as one of the great Parliamentary orators and debaters, whose intellect and wide interests outside politics - and his sometimes untidy appearance on the campaign trail - belonged to an era before spin and presentation took over politics.
Gordon Brown described him as a "unifying leader" of the Labour Party and a "genuine British radical" who would be remembered with affection by people from across the political spectrum.
Paying tribute to his personal friend outside Downing Street, the prime minister said: "Michael Foot was a man of deep principle and great idealism.
"He was the best Parliamentary debater of his generation and one of the most eloquent, and indeed one of the most humorous, speakers I think the country has ever had."
He said Mr Foot would be mourned as a "man who was good, compassionate and dedicated to his country".
'Remarkable man'
Announcing Mr Foot's death in the House of Commons, Justice Secretary Jack Straw compared one speech he gave in 1980 to a "Mozart concerto", saying he was "held in very great affection in all sections of the House and the country".
Former Labour deputy prime minister John Prescott said in a message via Twitter: "So sad to hear about Michael Foot. A great man has died. He was the heart of our movement."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'm obviously not old enough to have been in the House of Commons at the same time, but reading some of his speeches (they) were incredibly powerful [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

David Cameron
Conservative leader

Lord (Denis) Healey, a former Chancellor of the Exchequer, who Mr Foot defeated in the 1980 leadership contest, said: "I am very sorry indeed. Although I disagreed with him on issues - he was far to the left of me - I was glad to serve as his deputy."
And Tony Benn, who stood against Mr Healey for the deputy leadership in 1981 despite Mr Foot's appeal for him to avoid a divisive battle, also paid tribute.
He told BBC News Mr Foot always "meant what he said" and was "what the Labour Party's all about".
Conservative leader David Cameron described Mr Foot as a "remarkable man", adding: "I'm obviously not old enough to have been in the House of Commons at the same time, but reading some of his speeches (they) were incredibly powerful."
Mr Cameron added: "He was a very intelligent, witty, amusing and thoughtful man."
Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg said Mr Foot's "intellectual integrity" was an example to everyone in politics.
"Michael Foot was a great parliamentarian, a great intellectual and a great idealist. He always stood up for what he believed in, even if that meant inviting unpopularity at times."
Nuclear disarmament
Mr Foot first stood for Parliament in 1935, but he began his career as a journalist - editing the London Evening Standard by the age of 28. He had two spells as editor of left-wing journal Tribune, a magazine he would continue to contribute to into old age.
(from BBC)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Wed 10 Mar 2010, 2:39 pm

WENN

Actor Corey Haim has died at the age of 38.
According to TMZ, the former teen star passed away this morning after an apparent accidental overdose.
The LAPD were reportedly called to St Joseph's hospital in Burbank, California, in the early hours of the morning and Haim was pronounced dead at 3.30am (PST).
Born in Toronto in 1971, Haim started his career in Canadian family comedy The Edison Twins. His big screen debut came in 1984's Firstborn with Sarah Jessica Parker and Robert Downey Jr.
Haim's movie career took off after he appeared with Charlie Sheen and Winona Ryder in Lucas in 1986. His most famous role came a year later in vampire film The Lost Boys opposite Kiefer Sutherland and Corey Feldman. Haim and Feldman later featured in their own reality TV show The Two Coreys and reunited on straight-to-DVD Lost Boys sequel The Tribe in 2008.
Haim struggled with a drug habit after finding fame, but appeared to have beaten his addictions. "I'm clean, sober, humble and happy," he said in a 2004 interview. (fom DS)

Another one bites the dust thanks to drugs....

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Mon 15 Mar 2010, 5:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Peter Graves played a bungling pilot in the 1980 spoof Airplane!

Peter Graves - star of the classic TV series Mission:
Impossible and disaster spoof movie Airplane! - has died in the US city of Los
Angeles. He was 83.

The actor had a suspected heart attack outside his home after a meal with his
family, about a week before his 84th birthday, said publicist Sandy Brokaw.
Graves was perhaps best known for his role as special agent Jim Phelps in the
popular TV series Mission: Impossible.
He also played bungling pilot Clarence Oveur in the 1980 film Airplane!.
The actor initially turned down the role but was talked round by the
film-makers, who told him his dry, deadpan humour made him perfect for the spoof
disaster movie.
He had just returned from lunch on Sunday with his wife and children when he
collapsed before making it into the house, his publicist said.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] He had this statesmanlike quality [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Sandy BrokawPublicist
One of his daughters tried in vain to revive him.
"He had this statesman-like quality," publicist Brokaw told AP news agency.
"People were always encouraging him to run for office. But he said: 'I like
acting. I like being around actors."'
The police said the star had died of "natural causes" at his home.
Awards
Arguably his most famous role was in the long-running TV show Mission:
Impossible, in which Graves led a squad of American government special agents
battling evil conspirators.
Every show began with Graves, as Agent Phelps, listening to instructions
detailing his team's latest mission on a tape, which self-destructed within
seconds of being played.
The show ran on CBS from 1967 to 1973 and was revived on ABC from 1988 to

Graves played a bumbling pilot in the spoof movie Airplane

The actor said the writing was behind the show's long-running success.
"It made you think a little bit and kept you on the edge of your seat because
you never knew what was going to happen next," he once said.
He won a Golden Globe in 1971 for his part in the series.
Graves appeared in about 130 film and TV shows during his career.
His first television series was the 1950s children's Saturday morning show
Fury, about an orphan and an untamed black stallion.
Early in his career, he also turned in a memorable performance as a Nazi spy
in the 1953 prisoner-of-war drama Stalag 17.
In recent years, he hosted the A&E Network's long-running historical
series, Biography.
It won him an Emmy for outstanding informational series in 1997.(from BBC)Great actor, thought the Mission Impossible series brilliant... 

[/td][/tr]

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bug1 on Mon 15 Mar 2010, 5:33 pm

What a way to go!(and Good Luck in your next role)
bug1

Male
Number of posts : 4062
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 16 Mar 2010, 5:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] The world's smallest man, He
Pingping, has died

He Pingping is thought to have died of heart complications while filming a TV
show on Saturday in Italy.
The Chinese-born 74cm (29in) dwarf became a record holder in 2008 and
inspired those ‘considered different or unusual’, said Craig Glenday, Guinness
World Records editor-in-chief.
He suffered a form of primordial dwarfism and was born in China's northern
region of Inner Mongolia in 1988.
"For such a small man, he made a huge impact around the world," Glenday added
in a statement.
He was a chain smoker and his family said he stopped growing after he turned
18..... R.I.P 

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Mon 22 Mar 2010, 5:59 pm

Former BBC boxing commentator Harry Carpenter has died at the
age of 84.

Carpenter was the BBC's voice of boxing for almost half a century after
joining the corporation in 1949, when he first began commentating on the sport.

Known for his double act with British boxing great Frank Bruno, Carpenter
also presented Sportsnight, Grandstand and Sports Personality of the Year.
He retired in 1994 and died in his sleep at King's College Hospital in London
in the early hours of Saturday.
His lawyer David Wills said: "He had been unwell since last summer when he
had a minor heart attack.
"The funeral has not been arranged but will be a family funeral, to be
followed by a memorial service in London."
Carpenter became closely identified with Frank Bruno, whose catchphrase "Know
what I mean, 'arry?" featured in their post-fight interviews.
The former world heavyweight champion, 48, was said to be "very upset and
shocked" by the death.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Bruno and Carpenter formed a well-known double
act

"He [Carpenter] was obviously part of Frank's up-and-coming career from the
early days when Harry used to commentate, particularly at the Royal Albert Hall,
on Frank's boxing," said a spokesman for Bruno.
"Then they became a bit of a double act with the 'Know what I mean, 'arry'
thing. From there they went on to do appearances together almost like a little
cabaret act."
He also referred to the moment during Bruno's world-title fight against Mike
Tyson in 1989 - which the American won - when Carpenter forgot his impartiality
for a moment and cried out: "Get in there, Frank."
"The most exciting time was probably the Tyson fight when even Harry
Carpenter, who was quite a cool man, sort of lost his cool," the spokesman
added. (from BBC) 

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 02 Apr 2010, 5:08 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Martin Elliott won worldwide fame with the shot

The photographer behind Tennis Girl, one of the world's biggest-selling posters, has died at the age of 63.
Martin Elliott took his most famous shot in 1976 of his then girlfriend dressed in tennis gear, hitching her skirt to reveal a bare bottom.
The image, which featured in a calendar, shot to fame and more than two million copies were sold worldwide.
Mr Elliott died at his home in Truro, Cornwall, last week following a 10-year battle with cancer.
He took his most famous picture, featuring 18-year-old Fiona Butler, on a university tennis court while studying photography in Birmingham.
The pair borrowed a white tennis dress, racket and balls for the shot which was taken from behind as Ms Butler raised her dress, showing her left cheek.
'Schoolboy's fantasy'
The picture was sold to poster chain Athena but Mr Elliott retained the copyright.
It was first published as part of a calendar for the 1977 Silver Jubilee before being made into the poster that hung on schoolboys' bedroom walls around the world.
The poster was derided by critics at the time as a "schoolboy's fantasy" but it went on to become one of the most famous pictures in the world.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] It is not a picture I would buy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Martin Elliott

On his own website, Mr Elliott called it "the most published photograph in the world".
It has been parodied by various celebrities including Alan Carr and Kylie Minogue and was often seen in the background of the satirical puppet show Spitting Image.
The photographer once said in an interview that it was "not a picture I would buy", putting its appeal down to the seaside postcard spirit of the image.
Mr Elliott never revealed how much he made from the photo, but his widow Noelle, has said the couple had "done well" out of it and were still receiving royalties for it to this day.
Ms Butler, who was not paid for her work, has always maintained she will never be embarrassed by the photograph.
After qualifying, Mr Elliott went on to work in advertising and had a studio in Birmingham.
He retired to Cornwall 11 years ago after living in Stourbridge, in the West Midlands, and Portishead, Somerset. R.I.P. (from BBC)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Fri 02 Apr 2010, 8:28 pm

John Forsythe has died, aged 92.
The veteran TV star was best known for his roles on Charlie's Angels, Dynasty and Bachelor Father over a career that lasted nearly five decades.
Forsythe also enjoyed a long-running career in theatre and first began appearing in films during the '40s.
His publicist Harlan Boll told The AP that Forsythe passed away in Santa Ynez late yesterday night due to complications with pneumonia brought on by a longterm battle against cancer.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 06 Apr 2010, 4:56 pm

Actor Corin Redgrave, a member of the Redgrave acting dynasty, has died aged 70, his family has announced.
Son of Sir Michael, brother of Vanessa and Lynn and uncle of the late Natasha Richardson, he was taken ill at home in the early hours of Sunday morning.
"We will miss him so very much," said his widow Kika Markham.
Redgrave was also known for his political activism and was part of a 2004 bid to impeach Tony Blair over the invasion of Iraq.
As a film actor he is perhaps best known for his role in Four Weddings and a Funeral, in which he played Andie McDowell's husband Hamish.
Stage debut
Born in London in 1939, Redgrave entered the "family business" while studying at Cambridge University.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Redgrave (l) was a well-known political activist as well as an actor

His first stage appearance was at the Royal Court in 1961, playing Lysander in a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream.
His first major screen role came in 1966 when he appeared in Oscar-winning historical drama A Man for All Seasons.
In 1998 he won a Laurence Olivier award for his work in Tennessee Williams's play Not About Nightingales.
Redgrave was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2000 and suffered a heart attack at a political meeting in Essex in 2005.
He was recently seen on stage in a two-man play based on the writings of blacklisted Hollywood screenwriter Dalton Trumbo.
A statement issued by Markham said Redgrave - who is survived by his actress daughter Jemma and his sons Luke, Harvey and Arden - died on Tuesday "very peacefully [and] surrounded by his family."
The family said they would "like to thank St George's Hospital [in London] for their care in his last few days." (from BBC)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Thu 08 Apr 2010, 8:11 pm

Rex Features

Former Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren has passed away, aged 64.
According to The Independent, McLaren had been battling cancer for some time, although his condition rapidly deteriorated over recent weeks. He died this morning in New York.
His body is expected to be brought home to be buried in Highgate Cemetery, North London.
Born in North London, McLaren was best known as manager and impresario of the legendary punk band The Sex Pistols.
Before embarking on his career in music, he famously opened a clothes shop on the King's Road with ex-partner and fashion icon Vivienne Westwood.
The couple's son Joseph Corre was the co-founder of lingerie shop Agent Provocateur

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sun 11 Apr 2010, 12:18 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] The actor was one of 124 Munchkins in the film

Hollywood has said goodbye to actor Meinhardt Raabe, who played the Munchkin coroner in The Wizard Of Oz.
Flowers were laid on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame star dedicated to the 124 Munchkin actors, after Raabe died in Florida on Friday, aged 94.
Playing the coroner, he was one of nine Munchkins to have had a speaking part in Oz, pronouncing the Wicked Witch of the East "most sincerely dead".
The actor, who was 1.37m tall, was one of the last surviving Munchkins.
When the troupe's star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame was unveiled in 2007, there were only seven left - most in their 80s and 90s.
Raabe attended the ceremony, dressed in a huge hat with a rolled brim, as seen in the film.
He delighted fans by reciting his most famous line: "As coroner I must aver, I thoroughly examined her. And she's not only merely dead. She's really most sincerely dead."
The actor's caregiver, Cindy Bosnyak, said he died in hospital on Friday.
He had complained of a sore throat at his retirement community before collapsing and going into cardiac arrest.
"He had a headful of hair at 94 and he... remembered everything every day," she said.
"To me he was a walking history book, very alert."
'A perfect coroner'
Raabe was born in Watertown, Wisconsin, in 1915, and was a member of the Midget City cast at the Chicago World's Fair in 1934.
He used the money from this and other appearances to pay his way through University, earning a bachelor's degree in accounting and a master's degree in business administration.
He married Marie Hartline, who worked for a vaudeville show called Rose's Royal Midget Troupe, in 1946. She died in a car crash in 1997. Raabe was injured in the same accident.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Raabe was 22 years old when he landed his most famous role

The Wizard Of Oz, filmed between 1938 and 39, featured a cast of 124 Munchkins - some of whom were children.
Raabe said the pay was pitiful - "by today's standards, people would say you were crazy to work for that," he once noted - but enjoyed the recognition the film brought him.
In later years, he toured fan conventions and released a book, Memories of a Munchkin: An Illustrated Walk Down the Yellow Brick Road, in 2005.
The actor lived a full life after Oz. He was a pilot and an instructor in the Civil Air Patrol during World War II; He worked as a spokesman for the Oscar Mayer hot dog company for 30 years; and he was also a horticulturalist and teacher.
But the film always remained a large presence in his life. In 2005, the Florida Times-Union visited his retirement home and reported that he still kept a signed photograph from Judy Garland in his room.
"For Meinhardt," she had written. "A perfect coroner, and person, too." (from BBC)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content