Celebrity R.I.P

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down

Re: Celebrity R.I.P

Post by kiwis kitten on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 9:24 am

I loved Patrick Swayze....hmmm mmm mmmm [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

RIP

Keith Floyd ..

RIP

kiwis kitten

Number of posts : 13377
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 9:25 am

Hell R.I.P. Keith (was just reading his book in the Mail yesterday - a man who lived life to the full) :Luv 1:

Number of posts : 16109
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 4:44 pm

I was also reading his book extract at the weekend and he was on the TV last night on Channel 4!!

RIP Keith, the first of the so called 'celebrity' TV chefs...

Dell

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 7:10 pm

Bit spooky really - the story continues today with not a mention of his demise!!! Just the usual guff at the end stating tomorrow 'The Arrogant BBC - Don't Get Me Started'.....

Back to top Go down

Post by The Gimp on Wed 16 Sep 2009, 3:48 pm

RIP Patrick Swayze..

at least he had the time of his life..

The Gimp

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcolemk on Thu 17 Sep 2009, 9:01 am

Mary Travers. RIP Dragons live forever.....not so little girls. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

kingcolemk

Male
Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dell on Sun 27 Sep 2009, 3:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tributes are being paid after a former deputy passed died…, aged 79. Bill Bell served in the States for 20 years until finally announcing his retirement ahead of the 2008 elections. The Bailiff Sir Geoff Rowland says when he retired it was a great loss to political life in Guernsey. In his final four years in government he held the position of Public Services Minister.

From Island FM

RIP Bill, one of the few Gentlemen (former) Deputies.....

"Lovely Jubbly - Cushty - Rodney, you plonker - This time next year we'll be millionaires!" Dell Trotter
Dell

Male
Number of posts : 4468
Humor : Yes please!
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Sun 27 Sep 2009, 5:10 pm

a lovely man and a great deputy. r.i.p
Thistle

Female
Number of posts : 10987
Job/hobbies : housewife,mother,gardener,
Humor : sometimes
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Sun 27 Sep 2009, 5:37 pm

R.I.P. Bill
Female
Job/hobbies : travelling
Humor : warped (or so my friends inform me)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 9:22 am

R.I.P Stephen Gately.
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwis kitten on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 10:34 am

Very sad....R.I.P

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

~Desire Makes Me Weak~
Sexy Isn't what u wear.... Its How U take it off
kiwis kitten

Female
Number of posts : 13377

Back to top Go down

Post by Diddycoon on Sun 11 Oct 2009, 6:37 pm

yes very sad news...love boyzone's music

Ant and Dec's biggest fan........in the world
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] "My boys own web-page"

A self confessed Next-A-Holic

A self confessed Shop-A-Holic and Bargain hunter!
A self confessed clean-a-holic
Coldplay rule the world
Diddycoon

Female
Number of posts : 4775
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Wed 14 Oct 2009, 5:05 pm

Al Martino, the baritone renowned for a string of hits, including the sentimental ballads “Spanish Eyes,” “Volare” and “Speak Softly Love,” and for his role as the wedding singer in “The Godfather,” died Tuesday in Springfield, Pa., The Associated Press reported. died today at the age of 82. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] | [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (Youtube.com)

Mr. Martino was one of the most recognizable Italian-American pop singers of the 1950s and ’60s. Influenced by Perry Como and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], he had a career that spanned nearly five decades. He leaves behind several celebrated songs, including his breakthrough hit, “Here in My Heart,” for the small BBS label. Released in 1952, it rose to No. 1 in the United States and later became the very first No. 1 single in Britain. It also won him a contract with Capitol Records.

Mr. Martino had an influential and encouraging childhood friend in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], the American opera singer who became a Hollywood movie star in the 1940s and ’50s. Lanza was slated to record “Here in My Heart” himself but dropped his plans after Mr. Martino explained that his own debut recording would be neglected if he did.
In the mid-1960s, with rock music dominating the charts, Mr. Martino and his “olive oil voice” (in the words of a character in “The Godfather”) helped reintroduce classic pop romanticism to trans-Atlantic audiences. Between 1963 and 1967 he had nine Top 40 singles, of which the most enduring proved to be “Spanish Eyes.” The vocal version of a song composed and first recorded by Bert Kaempfert as “Moon Over Naples,” it became something of a standard and was later recorded by both [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and Wayne Newton. Mr. Martino returned to the charts in 1975, when he recorded a disco version of the Italian singer Domenico Modugno’s signature song, “Volare.”
One of the most prominent of the old-guard Italian-American romantic crooners, Mr. Martino found his image permanently embedded in pop culture when he played the singer Johnny Fontane in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]’s celebrated 1972 movie, “The Godfather.” (He would reprise the role in 1990 in “The Godfather: Part III.”)
The character, loosely based on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], is a famous crooner and washed-up movie star. There are four instances in the movie in which Don Vito Corleone, Fontane’s godfather and the head of a major Mafia crime family, intervenes to help his career, most memorably in the scene in which a horse’s head is place in the bed of a movie producer who would not hire Fontane.
In a singing career that can best be described as a roller coaster, Mr. Martino encountered both highs and lows. In 1972 he stormed off the stage of the Persian Room at New York’s [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] with some bitter remarks about the city and canceled the rest of his booking there because of a disagreement with the hotel’s staff.
Born on Oct. 7, 1927, in Philadelphia, Mr. Martino was just 15 when he joined the Navy in 1943. He completed basic training in New Orleans, where he developed a love for country music. “I took the heart of country singing with me into Italian romantic pop,” he said.
After shipping out to Iwo Jima and becoming a signalman on Mount Suribachi, he suffered a shrapnel injury and was given orders to return home. In 1947 he moved to New York City to pursue a career in show business, and earned his break as a winner on the CBS show “Arthur Godfrey’s Talent Scouts.”
Always the classy dresser, Mr. Martino said in 2009 that he hoped today’s youth would be able to have its own romanticism in future recordings. “I can’t sell records in stores anymore; everything is online and I don’t have access to younger audiences,” he said. “But 20 or 30 years from now, how are kids going to feel romance?”

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Wed 14 Oct 2009, 5:55 pm

R.I.P. Al - memories of my parents and the radio - you gave this family a lot of pleasure....
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Wed 14 Oct 2009, 7:15 pm

a wonderful soulful voice.R.I.P Al
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Mon 16 Nov 2009, 6:48 pm

Veteran actor Edward Woodward has died aged 79, his agent has confirmed.
The Croydon-born star had been suffering from various illnesses, including pneumonia, and died in hospital, said Janet Glass.
Woodward is most famous for his roles in the cult 1973 horror film The Wicker Man, alongside Sir Christopher Lee, and TV series The Equalizer and Callan.
Sir Christopher described Woodward as "a very good friend and a splendid actor".
Ms Glass said he had been ill for several months and passed away surrounded by members of his family.
The actor, who lived in Hawker's Cove near Padstow, died at the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro.
"I knew him a very long time and he was a superb human being," she said.
"That integrity shone through in the roles he played. I can't ever remember, in all the productions he undertook, anyone having a bad word to say about him and he never had anything bad to say about anyone else either."

Edward Woodward in a hostage scene in The Equalizer - Courtesy Universal TV

Ms Glass added: "Universally loved and admired through his unforgettable roles in classic productions, he was equally fine and courageous in real life, never losing his brave spirit and wonderful humour throughout his illness.
"His passing will leave a huge gap in many lives," she said.
Albert Square
He was last seen on screen in BBC One soap EastEnders as Tommy Clifford earlier this year.
Barbara Windsor said she was "deeply saddened" at the news.
"I have such fond memories of our time working together," she added.
Diederick Santer, executive producer of EastEnders, said: "All of us at EastEnders are very sad to learn that Edward has passed away.
"We were thrilled when he joined us for a stint of six episodes earlier this year. He was a delight to work with, and delivered a characteristically touching and layered performance. Our thoughts are with his family."
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Woodward won a Golden Globe in 1987 for his role in The Equalizer

Robin Hardy, who directed The Wicker Man, said of Woodward: "He was one of the greatest actors of his generation, without any question, with a broad career on American television as well as British film.
"He was the absolute star of The Wicker Man. He was an extremely nice human being."
Film critic Barry Norman described Woodward was a "very fine" actor.
"He made about three dozen movies but he was rarely given the chance to star in a movie, " he told BBC News.
"The two films that do stand out are obviously The Wicker Man and Breaker Morant, about three British soldiers in the Boer War. In both he gave excellent performances."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] What a true legend of the entertainment industry - they don't make them like him anymore [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tom Rickard, Bearwood

Actor Simon Pegg, who was a big fan of Woodward and cast him in his 2007 film Hot Fuzz, said on Twitter: "So sorry to hear we have lost the great Edward Woodward. Feel lucky to have worked with him."
He later released a statement, saying that Hot Fuzz rehearsals "were often gleefully tossed aside just to hear him (Woodward) recount stories from his life and career.
"Edgar Wright and myself sought him out because we were fans of his work, by the time the cameras stopped rolling, we were devoted fans of the man. My love and sympathy goes out to Michelle and his family."
Woodward is survived by his second wife, the actress Michele Dotrice, and four children, three of whom he had during his first marriage. (from BBC)

Brilliant actor, he will be missed

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Mon 16 Nov 2009, 6:53 pm

RIP Edward Woodward a great actor .
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Mon 16 Nov 2009, 6:55 pm

R.I.P. and a brilliant singer
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Wed 02 Dec 2009, 8:01 pm

Coronation Street actress Maggie Jones, who played Blanche Hunt in the soap, has died in hospital at the age of 75.
A spokeswoman for the ITV show said the star, who had been recovering from an operation in October, had "passed away peacefully" on Wednesday morning.
William Roache, who plays Ken Barlow, said she was a "brilliant actress" who had an "amazing dry wit".
She first appeared as Blanche, who is best known for her harsh put-downs and sharp tongue, 35 years ago.
'Dry wit'
Jones was admitted to hospital for major surgery in October. It is not clear what she was being treated for.
"Maggie had been making a slow recovery but her condition deteriorated early Wednesday morning and she passed away peacefully in her sleep," the spokeswoman said.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I don't think Maggie ever realised how much she was loved not only by everyone on the show but by the millions of Blanche fans out there [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

William Roache, who plays Ken Barlow

Roache, who played Blanche's son-in-law, said: "Maggie was a big part of the Barlow family and a brilliant actress.
"She was a tower of strength, physically frail but mentally strong as an ox and sharp as someone half her age.
"She had an amazing dry wit and was as funny, if not funnier, than Blanche. We were great crossword partners - we sat through Tracy's trial scenes doing the crossword together."
He added: "I don't think Maggie ever realised how much she was loved - not only by everyone on the show but by the millions of Blanche fans out there. She will be greatly missed."
Jones, who won several soap awards, only became a regular cast member in 1999 after numerous occasional appearances as Blanche.
She also played different characters in the soap on two separate occasions. Her first appearance on the show was as a policewoman in 1961.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Blanche became a regular in the show in 1999

The soap's executive producer, Kieran Roberts, called Jones a "much-loved colleague and a wonderful actress who turned Blanche into a true Coronation Street icon".
He added: "She will be hugely missed by Coronation Street's many millions of viewers and by everyone who works on Coronation Street.
"Our thoughts and prayers go to Maggie's sister, Joan, at this very sad time."
Jones's agent, Katie Threlfall, said: "Maggie was a rare treasure - incredibly kind, honest and loved by so many. It has been such a privilege to work with her, and we will miss her dearly."
Scriptwriters had written her out of the show while she recovered from her operation.
But, because the show is filmed six weeks in advance, Jones was still seen on screen until recently.
In her last ever scene, which was broadcast on 20 November, Blanche got drunk and revealed some home truths at a family gathering.
Jones, a graduate of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (Rada), began her career on stage, and had a number of different theatre roles before moving in to television.
She was widowed in 1999 after 28 years of marriage, when her husband, John Oliver Stansfield, died aged 72. (from BBC)
RIP Blanche...

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Wed 02 Dec 2009, 9:43 pm

R.I.P. Blanche
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Wed 02 Dec 2009, 11:50 pm

R.I.P Blanche.wonder how you will leave the street.
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kat on Thu 03 Dec 2009, 12:38 pm

i hope she goes out with some fun .as i think she deserves a good send off.
RIP Blanche..<><
kat

Female
Number of posts : 1850
Job/hobbies : bbbbbbbbbbb

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Sat 26 Dec 2009, 5:08 pm

George Cowling, 1st TV weatherman had a cold front on Christmas Eve.

"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Thu 14 Jan 2010, 5:56 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Teddy Pendergrass performed a concert tour in 2001

Soul singer Teddy Pendergrass has died at the age of 59 following "a difficult recovery" from colon cancer surgery, his son has told the AP news agency.
Teddy Pendergrass II said his father had died at a hospital in Philadelphia.
He was paralysed from the waist down in a 1982 car accident. In 2001, he went on his first tour since the accident.
Pendergrass enjoyed early success with Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, whose hits included If You Don't Know Me By Now, before going solo in 1976.

He was the first black male singer to record five consecutive multi-platinum albums in the US.
Pendergrass, who has used a wheelchair since his accident, made a return to live performance at the Live Aid concert in Philadelphia in July 1985.
"To all his fans who loved his music, thank you," his son said.
"He will live on through his music."
Sex symbol
As lead singer with Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Pendergrass had his first US hit with I Miss You in 1972.
A string of successful singles in the US, as well as the UK followed, including If You Don't Know Me By Now, later covered by acts including Simply Red, and Don't Leave Me This Way - also a hit for Thelma Houston in 1976 and The Communards in 1986.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Pendergrass, centre, performed at Live Aid in Philadelphia in 1985

He quit the band in 1975 and went on to enjoy greater fame as a solo singer known for his soulful ballads. His hits included Love TKO, Close The Door and Turn Off The Lights.
Pendergrass became something of a sex symbol attracting the adulation of enthusiastic young women at his concerts.
Leon Huff, of production and songwriting duo Gamble and Huff - who teamed up with Pendergrass on some of his biggest hits - said he watched Pendergrass's first solo gig and "saw the coming of a superstar".
"When Teddy walked out on the stage, he didn't even open his mouth and the place went crazy with screaming females," he told Philadelphia radio station WDAS.
"He was just so dynamic and, when he started singing, he just blew them away."
'Smooth sound'
After suffering a spinal cord injury in 1982, Pendergrass spent six months in hospital before returning to the studio the following year to record the album Love Language.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] He never showed me that he was angry at all about his accident. In fact, he was very courageous [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Record producer Kenny Gamble

Huff's partner Kenny Gamble paid tribute to "a great baritone singer" with "a real smooth sound".
"He had about 10 platinum albums in a row so he was a very, very successful recording artist and a performing artist," Gamble said.
"He had a tremendous career ahead of him and the accident sort of got in the way of many of those plans."
He added: "He never showed me that he was angry at all about his accident. In fact, he was very courageous."
Pendergrass performed his first solo live dates in almost 20 years in May 2001 in Atlantic City, which were followed by concerts all over the US.
In 2006, Pendergrass told the BBC the tour took an enormous effort.

"For a start, I had to have a group of people with me to look after my health needs," he said.
"But if you add to that the problems of transporting a wheelchair from airport to airport, it was all just too much effort."
He later founded the Teddy Pendergrass Alliance to help people with spinal cord injuries "achieve their maximum potential in areas of education, employment, housing, productivity and overall independence".
He is survived by his wife, his son, two daughters, his mother and nine grandchildren. (from BBC)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karma on Fri 15 Jan 2010, 2:43 am

R.I.P. Teddy - you gave a lot of joy to a lot of people
Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle on Fri 15 Jan 2010, 7:41 am

R.I.P. Teddy .x
Thistle

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Garbo on Fri 15 Jan 2010, 1:09 pm

had one of the best voices ever .....
Garbo

Female
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Tue 19 Jan 2010, 5:58 pm

Commentator Bill McLaren, known popularly as the "voice of rugby", has died at the age of 86.
Mr McLaren, from Hawick, retired in 2002 and was appointed OBE, CBE and MBE for services to the sport.
He began commentating on BBC radio in 1953 and moved on to television six years later.
He went on to earn the respect of players, fans, and spectators by being the best-researched commentator rugby had ever seen.
He died at 1030 GMT in the community hospital in Hawick in the Scottish Borders.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Former Scotland rugby captain Gavin Hastings, who worked with him, said: "First and foremost, Bill was a very proud and passionate Scot but such was his professionalism that you would never really have known that.
"He always remained very unbiased in his commentary and I think that that was unquestionably one of his endearing qualities.
"He was a wonderful commentator and he just brought the world of rugby into so many people's homes."
Former England captain Bill Beaumont also recognised the importance of McLaren's contribution to the sport.
"Bill McLaren is synonymous with what is good about the game," he said.
"Every player respected Bill, they respected his judgement.
"To sit alongside him you just admired the professionalism and homework that he put into his commentaries and also his passion for the game."
Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond said: "The world of sport and broadcasting has lost a true legend with the passing of Bill McLaren.
"He thoroughly deserved the title "voice of rugby" and was a fantastic ambassador for Scotland and his native Hawick right around the world."
BBC Scotland Director Ken MacQuarrie described McLaren as one of the "true broadcasting greats".
'Loyal friend'
He said: "A tremendously modest man, Bill was the ultimate professional who always went out of his way to help the many colleagues who worked alongside him over the years.
"He also worked tirelessly to support youngsters keen to learn more about the game he loved, especially in his home town.

"To those who knew him closest though, Bill was known as a wonderfully loyal friend and a devoted family man and our thoughts are with them at this time."
Hawick Rugby Club secretary John Thorburn also joined the tributes to their former player and loyal supporter.
He said: "We're devastated, obviously - we've got a room named after him at the rugby club.
"It was very close to his heart, Hawick Rugby Club.
"He's a huge loss to rugby worldwide (from BBC)

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy T on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 3:04 pm

Kate McGarrigle, a Canadian singer who, with her sister Anna,
captivated critics and fellow musicians with warm harmonies and a style
that drew on both folk traditions and the personalized approach of
1970s singer-songwriters, died on Monday at her home in Montreal. She
was 63.

Can I have everything louder than everything else?
Andy T

Male
Number of posts : 2275
Job/hobbies : Music,writing songs,playing guitar,going to gigs
Humor : Daft Bugger

http://www.myspace.com/andytowellofficial

Back to top Go down

Post by GD on Sat 23 Jan 2010, 11:55 am

Jean Simmons has died after losing her battle with lung cancer at the age of 80.
The Emmy Award winning British actress, who was recognised for her role in the 1980s drama The Thorn Birds, passed away at her home in Santa Monica on Friday, her agent told the LA Times.
Simmons moved from the UK to Hollywood in the 1950s and won roles playing Estella in Great Expectations, Ophelia in Laurence Olivier's Hamlet and sang with Marlon Brando in Guys And Dolls.
Other Hollywood greats that she starred alongside included Gregory Peck, Paul Newman and Kirk Douglas.
The Hollywood leading lady was Oscar-nominated for both her role in Hamlet and for her part in the 1969 movie The Happy Ending.

......THE BOSS......

GD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content