Difference of 1 vote see States go ahead with wastes debate

Go down

Difference of 1 vote see States go ahead with wastes debate

Post by GD on Thu 31 Jul 2008, 12:12 pm

Nearly half of States Members fear Guernsey is rushing into buying a
mass-burn incinerator.

A mammoth debate on a sursis to delay the States' decision on the waste
disposal strategy saw it eventually thrown out.

The vote went right to the wire, however, with 23 'for' and 24 'against'.

The Public Services Department will now compile a report, recommending what they think would be the best solution for the island out of a short list of 8 tenders for waste processing plants.

An amendment placed by Deputy Bernard Flouquet was voted through; meaning the States will have the final say in whether PSD's choice of waste plant is suitable.

It means the Public Services Department's eventual recommendation will have to be endorsed by the house.

Deputy Mark Dorey wants to take that amendment one step further.

He thinks the house should choose between PSD's top 3 recommendations.

It will be the first matter up for debate when the States resume this morning (from IslandFM)

......THE BOSS......

"Always be yourself because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind"

GD

Male
Number of posts : 10122
Job/hobbies : Website Forums...lol
Humor : Anything that makes me laugh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://www.vuedesisles.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Difference of 1 vote see States go ahead with wastes debate

Post by Pete Burtenshaw on Thu 31 Jul 2008, 5:45 pm

I think a suitable mass burner is the only sensible way forwards with mass encouragement and investment from both the private and public sectors for recycling initiatives. Lets be honest there is no way that everything can be recycled think of the expense especially with the current economic forecasts.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male
Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Total Waste on Thu 31 Jul 2008, 6:23 pm

Ill tell you what Pete, You list materials that can't be recycled or reused, I will make a list of those that can.
Unfortunatley you seem to be as well informed as the PSD.
Assuming is the bane of this States please don't let it leach in to the public.

Total Waste

Male
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw on Fri 01 Aug 2008, 8:17 pm

Total Waste, you prove to me the following then I will back you all the way:-

That Total Waste can recycle everything and I mean everything

And you can save the tax payer millions

I like thousands of other misinformed can only comment on what we are informed about so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gsyguy on Fri 01 Aug 2008, 9:12 pm

Humm ,I worked at the recycling down near the New school,and no fault of their own what thye have there is not enought o do what we have now,i worked on the cans and bottles seperating .plastics and other waste from the conveyor belt, bins for each nearby the cans machine is fine( for now) but the bottle one well lets say its very over used for its size,the guys know what they want just the states managers kep sayin oh bigger costs too much can we cope with what we have now,like ermm no!
If the waste management at the momnet cant cope how is the burner going to work along side ? if it happens then everything else will need UPGRADING that simple
gsyguy

Male
Number of posts : 214
Job/hobbies : wet/dry/black/sometime down rite rude bnut most of all FUNNY
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit on Fri 01 Aug 2008, 9:49 pm

I like the States estimate of 7000 tonnes of wood which is currently burned commercially. They then propose to ban all bonfires so that this wood has to be fed to the new calorie-hungry incinerator. Do they live in cloud cuckoo land? The large builders will buy wood chippers and compost or mulch the wood before paying the high gate charges that will be demanded, there is no way that this will go to feed the fires, that will leave them 1m per year short on there operating budget and lead to burning oil continuously to feed the flames.

At least November 5th will be more exciting with the mountainous bonfires on that one permitted day of the year.

"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
Spirit

Male
Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Total Waste on Fri 01 Aug 2008, 11:56 pm

Pete Burtenshaw wrote:Total Waste, you prove to me the following then I will back you all the way:-

That Total Waste can recycle everything and I mean everything

And you can save the tax payer millions

I like thousands of other misinformed can only comment on what we are informed about so please excuse my lack of knowledge.
No problems Pete. Its all too late now of course, but if you have a look on why gurnsey you will find the processes listed in on of my posts. Its in the Rubbish and recycling thread.

Our system had about 1 140 tonnes that would require land filling, 800 tonnes of that would be suitable for land rec.

Total Waste

Male
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Burtenshaw on Sun 03 Aug 2008, 8:55 am

Total Waste, if poss would you do me a favour and e-mail me the associated info please I refuse to go on whygsy my e-mail address is lisapete@cwgsy.net.

Pete Burtenshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down